Crashed my P3P

Reaction score
So I crashed my Phantom 3 into the roof of our house the other day. I was flying it when a message popped up on the screen that I was entering a no fly zone. We live close to an airport, but it is on the other side of the Interstate and I didn't realize our house was on the edge of the zone. Anyway, while I was looking at the message the Phantom hit something on the roof, slid down and landed on the deck. The gimbal was broken and the camera was hanging on by one cable. The other cable that goes into the Phantom itself had been ripped off the plastic connector. The body of the Phantom appeared to be intact, except for the propellers which were pretty banged up. The camera itself also looked to be okay. I finished removing the camera and spun up the rotors. They all appeared to be working fine and aren't making any horrendous noises. I was wondering, is it possible to remove the cable that is still connected to the Phantom? Is it attached to the board by another connector or is it soldered directly to the board?
IMG_5723.jpg
IMG_5724.jpg
IMG_5725.jpg
IMG_5726.jpg

Those pics look straight out of the eBay "broken camera/gimbal for parts" auctions hehe.. Sorry to hear about it, hope you can get it working!

Josh

So your P3P hit the roof due to your distraction reading the 'airport no-fly zone' message, NOT because the software was trying to put your bird on the ground? According to DJI it would not have crashed your quad.

Thinking about it though, I just remembered there was another question I had. I also saw a message on the screen that said something akin to "upgrade needed" didn't get a chance to inspect that further due to the crash. All my stuff was running on the latest firmware, so not sure what it was referring to. Any ideas?

Okay so I finally got around to attaching new blades and trying it out. It flew without a hitch. Cranked up the speed and raced it up and down the cul de sac and then took it all the way up to 400 ft and zipped it around in the sky. The only issue I saw was the "no signal" reading on the app. I did push the RTH button and it landed where it took off from. Next step is to buy a new gimble attachment and whatever cables I need and reattach the camera.

Attachments

• IMG_5734.jpg
    IMG_5734.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 379
  • IMG_5735.jpg
    IMG_5735.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 401
  • IMG_5736.jpg
    IMG_5736.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_5737.jpg
    IMG_5737.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 379
  • IMG_5738.jpg
    IMG_5738.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 406
  • IMG_5739.jpg
    IMG_5739.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 374
I just repaired mine with almost exactly the same broken bits.

I replaced that plate, it was $9 and I fixed the cable. The wires plug right into the end firmly with a pair of needle nose pliers one at a time. Some carefully placed adhesive with a toothpick and i'm back in the air.

I ordered a cable pack but it is working fine, I may not replace it unless I have to open it for something else at a later date.

Thinking about it though, I just remembered there was another question I had. I also saw a message on the screen that said something akin to "upgrade needed" didn't get a chance to inspect that further due to the crash. All my stuff was running on the latest firmware, so not sure what it was referring to. Any ideas?

I have the same message after upgrade mine to v1.3.20, which is the latest according to dji.com. I have seen a number of people with the same issue. Some say keep flashing the same latest firmware over and over fixes it. Some say reinstalling the DJI Go app couple times fixes it. I choose to just ignore it until the next firmware arrives ... hopefully soon for the waypoint, POI, follow me features.

Well the parts came today and other than a pain in the butt to take apart, it was surprisingly easy to fix. No apparent damage to the camera at all. It's recording and taking photos. No error messages while flying. Took it up as high as it allowed and flew it out as far as I could, until I hit the low battery warning. Guess I have to decide now whether or not to keep it or sell it as I'd already bought a new one, before I stupidly realized maybe I could fix it. Oh well, live and learn!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20