Crashed My Drone. What do I do?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just crashed my new P4 less than a week after I got it. I was flying it possibly 5-6 feet off the ground forward, deciding to go backwards in the same path, and hit a branch that I did not see in my path forward (could GPS have altered my path?)

Most of the drone seems alright, I broke a propeller and one of the wings is pretty much torn up. It landed perfectly upside down. I was wondering what should be my first step in getting it repaired, and if it could be something I may be able to do myself. What would be any price estimates?

It did land in the snow, and the battery popped out, but the snow was pretty thin and I don't think the battery got water damaged. How would I be able to tell if it indeed was water damaged?

I'll post pics if need be, and am just feeling super bummed that I only got a handful of flights out of it.

Make sure everything is dry. The shell can be replaced fixing the broken arm and of course the props replaced. Then, a complete IMU calibration.

Before starting the repairs, I would suggest powering it up to make sure the camera and gimbal are functioning. No need to fly it for that.

Geo

Last edited:
Make sure everything is dry. The shell can be replaced fixing the broken arm and of course the props replaced. Then, a complete IMU calibration.

Before starting that I would suggest powering it up to make sure the camera and gimbal are functioning. No need to fly it for that.

Geo

Make sure it's dry before powering it up... I know he said that first, but then saying "before starting that" sounds like it should come "before" everything he said first. If the battery gets wet, it might short itself or the electronics on the bird. Suggest letting it dry for a day just to be sure. Snow can clump and find its way into a crevice, then melt... just can't get in a hurry.

DJI offers repair services, but you will likely get a different bird (refurb) as a replacement and there are lots (LOTS) of posts here on the forum with varying degrees of satisfaction with their service. Spend plenty of time reading what folks have posted... since you know it was your fault, there's just the matter of sending it in and getting a repair estimate.

Make sure it's dry before powering it up... I know he said that first, but then saying "before starting that" sounds like it should come "before" everything he said first. If the battery gets wet, it might short itself or the electronics on the bird. Suggest letting it dry for a day just to be sure. Snow can clump and find its way into a crevice, then melt... just can't get in a hurry.

DJI offers repair services, but you will likely get a different bird (refurb) as a replacement and there are lots (LOTS) of posts here on the forum with varying degrees of satisfaction with their service. Spend plenty of time reading what folks have posted... since you know it was your fault, there's just the matter of sending it in and getting a repair estimate.

How will I know if there is water damage? Should I just send it in and let them handle it? The gimbal was making some weird noises when I powered it up. Do you know what a good price estimate may be for how much I'll be paying?

How will I know if there is water damage? Should I just send it in and let them handle it? The gimbal was making some weird noises when I powered it up. Do you know what a good price estimate may be for how much I'll be paying?
Suggest you post up some pics for others to comment on. I'm not qualified to answer... just know that water damage can compound whatever has already happened.

1514923708112965599922.jpg 1514923742655-1450569231.jpg

Ouchhhhh!!!! That's a nasty landing u did there. ****........5' - 6' Hope that u get it up and running soon.

Ahh, that don't look so bad. There are links to drone repair shops in the resources here. You can search posts and see plenty of other users broken birds and their solutions.

I've read enough DJI repair stories here and elsewhere to be leary of sending it to one of their repair facilities. When mine wrecked recently I sent it off to DroneFly | Buy Drones & Quadcopters for Sale Online | Best UAV Camera – Dronefly

If your handy, parts can be ordered and you can fix it yourself; kinda like a Legos kit :)

Reactions: BoneThrower13
I don't think it looks too bad. I just crashed my Mavic Pro into a water tower about 200' up where it then crashed to the ground. I was more than pleasantly surprised that it only cost $199.00 to repair with $70.00 of that for the parts. I'm sure you have a little more than just a new shell, but I couldn't imagine the cost will break you.

I need to replace my P4's shell, but I won't send it in until I have more problems since the damaged shell doesn't effect its current performance. When I do, I will probably send it to DJI since I've had pretty good luck with them. I still don't have my Mavic Pro back yet, so everything is riding on this current experience.

There are a lot of great you tube videos out there on how to repair the shell and motors. I recently had to repair my bottom shell as it just cracked for no reason. $35 in parts and good to go. It also was a lot of fun seeing the guts of the machine.

Reactions: FlashBuddy
I have no advice on how to fix it or the cost, but you should know that for any pilot, ALTITUDE is your friend. Especially for new pilots. Fly your bird out in the country and up away from all obstacles such as trees. Learn to fly well before flying the lower altitudes where you might encounter trees and buildings etc.

Bud

Hi all,

I just crashed my new P4 less than a week after I got it. I was flying it possibly 5-6 feet off the ground forward, deciding to go backwards in the same path, and hit a branch that I did not see in my path forward (could GPS have altered my path?)

Most of the drone seems alright, I broke a propeller and one of the wings is pretty much torn up. It landed perfectly upside down. I was wondering what should be my first step in getting it repaired, and if it could be something I may be able to do myself. What would be any price estimates?

It did land in the snow, and the battery popped out, but the snow was pretty thin and I don't think the battery got water damaged. How would I be able to tell if it indeed was water damaged?

I'll post pics if need be, and am just feeling super bummed that I only got a handful of flights out of it.

Reactions: wmclements2003
Hi Joseph;

Since you're new to flying drones, good, correct information is very important to you.

One poster said, "If your handy, parts can be ordered and you can fix it yourself; kinda like a Legos kit". DO NOT BELIEVE THIS!!

To repair the damage to your drone yourself requires some skill, and if you're handy with tools and a soldering iron you may very well be able to make the repairs yourself. You will indeed need a new upper and lower shell, and perhaps some other parts but the actual repair will be nothing like putting Legos together.

I would suggest that along with the help and advice of the many good people here, that you view as many P4 crash repair videos as you can on YouTube before tackling this. Then, if you're comfortable doing so, go ahead and give it a shot.

There's plenty of good advice here, but that wasn't it.

Bud

Hi all,

I crashed my p4 last fall into a light pole and the battery came out in mid air, gimbal flew off and it crashed and broke one arm. Repairs were new shell, new props, gimbal ribbon, yaw motor and both gimbal arms. I think it cost me over $500 for parts and I did the work myself. I ended up buying a new p4 minus the gimbal as once I got into it I found the main circuit board was damaged. I think if I ever smash it up that bad again I would just buy another refurb unit and be done with it as they are under $600. But in the end it works just great so I will just not crash again.

I love my Prop Guards, Since I fly VLS I can see the color of the props up high and upon landing , I do not hand catch.

Attachments

• Drone Pic w Guards and New Small Drone X Mas 2016 001.JPG
    Drone Pic w Guards and New Small Drone X Mas 2016 001.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 339
  • Drone Pic w Guards and New Small Drone X Mas 2016 002.JPG
    Drone Pic w Guards and New Small Drone X Mas 2016 002.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 334
I love my Prop Guards, Since I fly VLS I can see the color of the props up high and upon landing , I do not hand catch.

Yesterday I read a user who disbelieved the protectors because he argued that they caused tensions in the arms causing cracks in them, (I also use them and I have a good opinion) what is your experience with them?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues