Crashed my drone today on a lake

Reaction score
Today's flight was my 76 flight with my dji phantom 3 professional. At first, I tried to launch the drone after calibrating it but there was a lot of metal objects around, so i moved away from the area. I ended up rebooting the phantom 3, and re-calibrating the compass.

After all the steps are all set. I launched the phantom. I flew it over the lake, and where i was standing to where the drone was last seen is about less than half a mile. I was also in P-GPS mode. Next thing you know, my screen went dark, and all i see is a "No Signal". I panicked and hit the return home button, but at that point nothing responsive.

I went back to my video library and noticed before the screen went blank, i guess there was a weird movement with the quadcopter, but i highly doubt it got hit by a bird or something. I've also attached the flight log.

Do you guys think DJI would do anything about a case like this? I know it's my own fault for flying over the lake, but on the same token there must be something wrong with firmware? I honestly don't know, any tips about this would help tremendously.

Thanks

Attachments

• 12179494_10206641866224265_1704594918_n.png
    12179494_10206641866224265_1704594918_n.png
    924.4 KB · Views: 1,294
No .TXT file attached which is the log file.

I believe lakes (water bodies) have an effect on the birds. I took mine out to Canyon Lake a large lake near here. I flew out with my homemade wind surfer about 2 miles and back but stayed along the shoreline.

Second battery I pushed it and went about 3 miles. 400 feet in the air over dead center of the water. Flew perfect out and on my way back about a mile or so the screen goes dark and lost connection. I know the feeling you guys have as it was oh crap, didn't think it would happen to me. I just waited about 10 seconds and nothing. Keep in mind I had full bars at the 3 mile mark.

After about what seemed an eternity, I pressed the Home button. Held it for about 10 seconds and nothing. Waited and then BAM!!, screen is back on and the works heading home or something like that is announced. Flew back a mile and turned off RTH. Watching the video, when the bird turned around it had a weird shake to it. Almost as if the gimble wasn't doing its job. I really think something with the water effects it.

Sorry, i just added this to healthy drone. Check it out!

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

That shows a possible battery issue. But I need the .TXT file that is in the device used to fly with such as the tablet, cellphone.

Look for folder DJI/dji.pilot/FlightRecord/ scroll to bottom of page and select the last and most recent .txt file an save to desktop. Then zip the file. Then attache the file to this thread just like you did with the images.

Cell 1 looks like it was deviating a lot....may be the place to start. Also, I hate say this, but maybe the battery fell out or you had a bird strike, lotsa seagulls out there.

Here's the flight record in a txt file. thank you everyone!

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2015-10-24_[08-20-04].txt
    362.9 KB · Views: 550
It wasn't too windy where i was standing, but I bet it might have been windy on the lake :/

In addition, I bought two new batteries on Amazon few days ago, and today was my first time using them too.

I cannot imagine there is anything about flying over water, per se. It's just water on a lake, not like there's a James Bond opponent's galactic Xray machine underneath the surface. Bird flapping wings would not throw it off either. But I am eager to follow this thread because ALL my flying will be over water...

Loads of people fly over water - makes no difference. Can if fact give you better range due to signals reflected off the surface!
Unless you have traveled a long way there is no need to calibrate unless the P3 tells you too. Much better to calibrate in a known good location!

It wasn't too windy where i was standing, but I bet it might have been windy on the lake :/

In addition, I bought two new batteries on Amazon few days ago, and today was my first time using them too.

Did you install the memory card with the latest firmware on it to update the battery before you went to fly. I know that you have to update all batteries as well as the P3. Not sure it it might be the reason just asking.

Reactions: viet vo
Did you install the memory card with the latest firmware on it to update the battery before you went to fly. I know that you have to update all batteries as well as the P3. Not sure it it might be the reason just asking.

I didn't install new firmware for the battery. However, I flew at another location earlier with the same battery and the phantom worked fine.

You took off with a brand new battery at 64%.

And it looks like you flew really hard against winds aloft.

It is always best especially if flying far to take off with a full battery.

Also, I know DJI does not document this, but I like to break in Lipos gently by not flying full power or below 50% on the first 10 flights or so. This helps to make the Lipo last longer. I also like to never charge above 1C on the first 10 charges or so, this is moot as DJI does the charge rate, not a smart charger.

I also like to make the first batch of flights close and over a field or lawn, just to break in a new battery and in case there is a problem with the Lipo. Lipos are complex and need care. I know DJI is trying to take the complexity out of flying MRs, but a Lipo is still a Lipo. I think for DJI is doing a good job making this hobby simpler, easier to learn and safer. But if you have flown a lot with Lipos there are some good procedure to follow conditioning them when new. And a few tricks to storage etc.
Here is a link to info about Lipos:
Understanding RC LiPo Batteries

My guess is the battery malfunctioned and for some reason just cut all power. That is what it looks like. Or it fell out, I can see this if it was not clicked in and the MR was bucking gusty wind. A bird strike is also possible.

Reactions: viet vo
I have my dinner here in front of me so I can't go into details but after looking over your flight records, you were attacked by a bird of some kind. The data clearly shows it. Be back later.... Btw, you can relax now.

Reactions: bobomet
I have my dinner here in front of me so I can't go into details but after looking over your flight records, you were attacked by a bird of some kind. The data clearly shows it. Be back later.... Btw, you can relax now.

Thank you for looking into this, I really appreciate it. When you get a chance, can you go more into depth why that's the case. thank you.

The exact same thing happened to me. You can find my older post on here. It had weird movement and then took a 45 mph dive. I believe what happened was there was a compass error right around when I lost the signal. So when I hit the "return to home" button, it took the 45 MPH dive. Always in GPS mode. DJI fixed it with 3-week turnaround no charge even though gimbal broke off. To avoid this today I throw it into Atti mode at any sign of compass error issue. No problems.

Reactions: Mike Mauk
The exact same thing happened to me. You can find my older post on here. It had weird movement and then took a 45 mph dive. I believe what happened was there was a compass error right around when I lost the signal. So when I hit the "return to home" button, it took the 45 MPH dive. Always in GPS mode. DJI fixed it with 3-week turnaround no charge even though gimbal broke off. To avoid this today I throw it into Atti mode at any sign of compass error issue. No problems.

The only problem with this is I don't have the drone with me since it crashed in the lake. Do you think DJI will give me some sort of discount if I plan on re purchasing the same model?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic