Crashed and stuck in Giant Redwood tree.

Reaction score
Wednesday I updated the firmware to 1.3.20. I calibrated the compass and checked the IMU. All systems go! I started up and tried to hover. It seemed like the drifting had gone away. I did a few more movements and tested hovering close to the ground and up 7 feet. I was pretty comfortable in the stability. Seems like they have fixed the problem I was experiencing with drifting while hovering. So I took it up and flew around my neighborhood. Much like I normally do. The battery got low and it started to warn me. Then I was bringing it back in and I misjudged my distance away from the tree. BOOM! I crashed into the tree and it landed the next branch down. This tree was huge and it was stuck near the top. I'd estimate the tree over 75 feet and my UAV at about 60 feet. My ladder couldn't even get me started to climbing that tree. I called a Tree Trimmer. He could make it out here until today. Meanwhile it rained and lightning overnight. Today he climbed the tree and retrieved my P3A. I survived the crash and surprisingly it was completely dried out. I brought it in and charged the battery and ran a test. Powered it up and checked the camera. Works. Then spun up the props. Working. My P3A survived! Whew. What a relief. Only cost me $100 for the climber. He asked for $60, I gave him a little extra. I was so thankful he didn't knock it out trying to retrieve it.
image1a.jpg
image2.jpg

Depth perception is our enemy! LOL I usually land in the flower beds beside my deck.

I have at least 10 of those monsters around the house. I live in Northern California, I suspect you do as well.

Good $h!÷ bro.....didn't know what to expect after the first two sentences. ..haha
awesome conclusion.

You must be in California near me somewhere also. My neighbor next door has a row of trees similar to these. There all over the area. In fact talking about rain and lighting the lighting might have helped "remove" your Phantom from that tree for ya. He's what happened around the corner from me a few years ago:

Glad your back up and flying!

Wow! Yeah, I am in Stockton, CA. It's rare for us to get lightning here or rain lately. That's my kind of luck.

I'm glad everything worked out.. please watch that pack though.. the craft if dried can survive the water. Lipos not so much...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1