Crashed 3 Week Old Phantom 3

Reaction score
Got my brand new Phantom 3 on July 30th and found it extremely easy to fly, if you glance at it once in awhile. My practice was around our yard and the adjacent areas.

Our 25 year old daughter came home and my wife and her were out in our yard, so I took off and was video taping them in our garden. I started relying on the FBV mode and started "dancing around" at about 50 feet altitude.

Ah, big mistake. I jogged it into a piece of coaxial cable feeding an Amateur Radio antenna. Yes, my antenna. Everything seemed to stop and it dropped like a rock, damaging both the upper and lower shells (housings) on one motor arm. Damaging means totally trashed, so it is off for repairs.

When you fly at low altitude with many trees and an Amateur Radio tower & antennas on your lot, my technique was a bit stupid. OK, all you new owners, please be careful!

Two weeks before repaired Phantom 3 is shipped back, after I pay the repair bill. Really glad I am stimulating the economy!

Chuck

Man that's sucks! When you get it back try to fly higher the the obstacles there and have your RTH altitude set high as well just in case of an emergency. Hope you get it back soon.

Great advice and fair play for being honest and sharing your story as pride normally stops that. Great advice for new flyers btw. Hope you get back up in the air soon man.

Hope the Camera was okay that's the most $$$... as MAL Said you Manned Up and may have helped others.:cool:

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
Don't feel so bad hell I'm on my third and final one but yet I have never crashed my inspire 1.

Chuck:
-
One of those "Oh shi* " days. We feel your pain. BTW, where did you send it for repairs?
DJI in CA.? They must have an assembly line for repairs - I'd love to see a photo of that place.

As long as you don't have the same type of crash each time... it's a learning experience and you'll be better for it.

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
Was the gimbal damaged? How much are you expecting for the repair bill?

Chuck:
-
One of those "Oh shi* " days. We feel your pain. BTW, where did you send it for repairs?
DJI in CA.? They must have an assembly line for repairs - I'd love to see a photo of that place.
I sent it to Drone Nerds in Aventura, FL. So far they have been good about acknowledging the UPS delivery when it arrived at their location.

Chuck

Was the gimbal damaged? How much are you expecting for the repair bill?
The soft white shock mounts for the camera seem to have absorbed most of the impact shock, but I chose not to smoke test anything. Body she'll, both top and bottom where damaged where it hit the ground. One motor mount arm was flexed enough to call the body shell junk. I am waiting for the repair estimate.

I sent it to Drone Nerds in Aventura, FL. So far they have been good about acknowledging the UPS delivery when it arrived at their location.

Chuck
Sorry for your loss.
Is Drone Nerds an official repair facility?
They are not too far from me.

Chuck:
-
It will be "interesting" to see how they do with the repairs. Looks like they are south east from our winter home in Rotonda West, Florida, (West coast).
Thanks!
David
grrquadman

Glad it's getting fixed Chuck..............That made me laugh as it is EXACTLY what I did about 2 years ago with a Helicopter..........Snagged a line ............Glad I'm not the only one ! ! !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.