Crash landed! Please help identify problem w/ video SOLVED

Reaction score
Hi,

I just had my maiden flight earlier today, it was a pretty successful flight except for the landing. I seem to hit turbulence on my descend, no idea what was happening. Here's the video link to the event http://youtu.be/vyPwR0QA66U can someone help to identify what went wrong as seen in the video. Many thanks!

Cheers

Re: Crash landed! Please help identify problem w/ video

Vortex Ring State, aka settling with power. You descended into the rotor's own downwash and lost lift. descend more slowly or with some forward speed.

Thank you, could you elaborate what you meant by forward speed? Do you mean moving forward while descending?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrsGM0PzQFo

Vortex wing state.

TO get out of it, be moving forward, back, or to the side. More thrust does't help that much. Practice moving in and out while real high in the air. It also makes your video much better if you are moving on descent. A gimbal really can't help you much.

Thank you, will make sure i move around while descending.

Cheers

Yeah I learned that too: you have to stay out of your own prop wash which is directly beneath you. If you move forward (you actually have to move at a decent clip if you're coming down quickly), the turbulence stays under and behind you, giving the props more stable air to push against.

BTW, I couldn't tell if you are running the prop guards but when I took those off: big improvement in stability of descent.

Mike

I've lost track of how many of these video's I've seen. There is a LOT of info on this forum about this phenomenon. It's too bad people don't do their homework before flying their expensive machine. ;)

DesertFlyer53 said:
I've lost track of how many of these video's I've seen. There is a LOT of info on this forum about this phenomenon. It's too bad people don't do their homework before flying their expensive machine. ;)

Sometimes the problem is too much information! I spent days reading stuff here and on other forums and more days after I got it just setting things up, testing, running and rerunning flight checks, etc. and I can tell you it's not possible to know every aspect of every system before the first time you fly. It's more than a little difficult to pick through the thousands of little pieces of information to know what is truly important because so many people are talking about interference, fly aways, props flying off, not waiting for home position, how to update firmware, and reading a manual that for all intents and purposes, doesn't really exist!

I may not be the OP, but I can sympathize. :)

Mike

Yeah, maybe my comment was a little harsh. It's just frustrating seeing these; My Phantom fell out of the sky and I don't know why, thread. DJI should put some kind of warning about not doing rapid descents straight down, in big red letters, in their manual!

Oh yeah you were coming down real fast. That represents at least a one minute descent to be on the cautious side. I either rock it or descend in a spiral. Much better spectacle in a spiral so I keep that for the crowd...:)

@mikeydaddio yes, the prop guards were installed during the crash, looks like they could have contributed to the crash.

Of all the videos and precautions I took before my first flight, calibrating compass, not flying near electromagnetic areas etc, somehow avoiding rapid descent is not on my reading/watch list. This should be number 1 in the not to do list. Most of the "before flying check list" do not include this.

now on my to do list: practice spiral descent :lol:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic