Crash after Landing

Reaction score
Has anyone had this issue. You bring the Phantom back into land, land perfectly and it won't power down, then it flies sideways trips over and lands on its roof with the motors still going.

It's happened twice now too me, destroyed several props and cracked the motor mounts in several places (even though they where not big crashes).

DJI have agreed to take it back, although I've patched it up myself for now.

Has anyone else seen this issue ?

Here is a video of the landing and then crash,

That sucks, What are you doing? Bring the Phantom down slowly, shouldn't be holding the left stick down or in the locked position. Looked like your were coming down to fast. When it does touch down then hold the left stick down for like 5 secs or until the motors turn off.

Reactions: Olsen Petrus
Right stick is throttle for me (mode1) and yes hold it full down after touch down to shut the motors off. I've made dozens of landings on this Phantom (hundreds on other copters), this has happened twice out of those landings. Both times a perfect landing and then it waits for a second and goes sideways to the right and offers no response to controls at all.

It wasn't a fast landing although, I was also on 30% battery so didn't hover it around, just straight in.

Last edited:
That's crazy.
I autolanded mine the 1st time I flew it.
After that I hand caught it every other flight.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the 'Smart Return to Home' so I disabled that. Anyway I will send back to DJI I think as maybe it has a fault .. don't want to hold my breath everytime it lands to see if its going to power off ! Just wondered if it was a known issue with other fliers.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the 'Smart Return to Home' so I disabled that. Anyway I will send back to DJI I think as maybe it has a fault .. don't want to hold my breath everytime it lands to see if its going to power off ! Just wondered if it was a known issue with other fliers.

Did you perform left stick down or CSC (both sticks diagonal)?

Did you perform left stick down or CSC (both sticks diagonal)?
He says he is using mode1, and using hold down on the right stick.

I've made dozens of landings on this Phantom (hundreds on other copters), this has happened twice out of those landings.
Well this info kind of changes the thread, You joined June 19th with 11 post, thought this happened on your first two flights.
Hope you come back now, everybody would like to know your results.
Rod:)

It should not be doing that if you are just holding the throttle down after landing, but one tip: Always point your gimbal to the horizon while landing because when it is pointed down, you risk having debris on the ground fly up into the lens and cause some unwanted damage.

Safe Flyin'

Dylan - Good point re the camera lens, I always have a filter on the lens, UV or ND too.

Yeah throttle at Zero is what I do to power off the motors ... it works 98% of the time !

Rob - The first time it did this was around about the second or third flight ... I though maybe just a one off or maybe I had done something wrong and it didn't happen for many flights ... then it happened again the other day.

Cheers.

learn to hand catch then you wont have these problems

Yes, I hand catch on landing a lot, I also take of by hand in sand and in brush, but it doesn't answer the OP's question.:rolleyes:

Was it landed on a flat surface?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The first video look like is level to me, the one on the sand, I hope so. ;)

I had the same thing happen on left stick a few times it tip one time stopped one motor and smelled reel bad but still flying

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Sorry, but if there really is a defect in the OP's bird, a hand catch could result in some nasty wounds, no?
No?
I would say yes, I agree, there seems to be really something wrong with these units.

Rod

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20