Cracks growing - replacement shells

Reaction score
Has anyone who's bought a new shell seen the cracks around the motor screws reappear from just normal use? My stock shell has cracking now that's starting to get me worried because the fine cracks are converging and continue to expand. What's the point of buying another 60 to 70 dollar shell if it's going to crack up as well. What is the alternative if there is one?

I'm curious, but have you changed or worked on your motors, or are these cracks appearing around the motor screws as they came with your Phantom?
- as it seems to not be a very common issue most have encountered.

(perhaps they had a bad batch in manufacturing?).

probably a good idea to look into a replacement shell, while you can find one in stock, and keep it around for when the cracks cause malfunction.
or look into swapping everything to a different frame altogether.

there is a listing on ebay for replacement shells 50.00 shipping included,, but they are in china,, may take 10 days or so to get them,, just type in dji phantom in search.

I'm always fearful of dealing with ebay as I've had some trouble in the past and the so called buyers protection and even Paypal protection was a joke. I might have to look into the overseas purchase if no one can get these in stock.

I bought my Phantom about 2 1/2 months ago and yes I have pulled the motors and attempted my best balance job with them as well as the props. With that said I'm frustrated with balancing because I get different results one hour to the next and depending on how the moon is positioned or something to that effect. I am a perfectionist so maybe that has something to do with it as well. I've had a few tip overs when I first got it but those where in the grass and one tip over on the concrete when I had to land quickly in the breeze. The very first few days that I had it I tried to fly it inside with basically hovers and side to side controlled drifts. I smacked the wall, caught the edge of my shirt and tagged my floor speaker and then I stopped.

toolman2a said:
there is a listing on ebay for replacement shells 50.00 shipping included,, but they are in china,, may take 10 days or so to get them,, just type in dji phantom in search.

Yes but shipping is 31$ so 81$ total...

I purchased my shell last week from go nitro on eBay cost $ 89 but it was from an east coast USA dealer which was better for me delivery time wise.

- very disappointed in the build quality of the phantom things that should break don't and things that shouldn't break do. Perfect example with the motor mount holes and the stress cracks after multiple flights... I reluctantly bought another shell last week because my dealer midwestsurvellance.com pretty much pulled the plug on DJI due to there lack of replacement parts as well as repairs...

The scary thing is is that without buying parts from eBay you really have know where stateside (USA) to buy repair parts from..

I'm going to use my spare shell to build another phantom .. Piece by piece over time. :idea:
freelanceshots said:
I'm always fearful of dealing with ebay as I've had some trouble in the past and the so called buyers protection and even Paypal protection was a joke. I might have to look into the overseas purchase if no one can get these in stock.

I bought my Phantom about 2 1/2 months ago and yes I have pulled the motors and attempted my best balance job with them as well as the props. With that said I'm frustrated with balancing because I get different results one hour to the next and depending on how the moon is positioned. I am a perfectionist so maybe that has something to do with it. I've had a few tip overs when I first got it but those where in the grass and one tip over on the concrete when I had to land quickly in the breeze. I also just after I got it went through a faze where I tried to fly it inside with basically hovers and side to side drifts. I smacked the wall, my shirt and my floor speaker and then I stopped.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub