Cracks around the motor mounting screws

Reaction score
My V2+ has about 50 hours, Last week I noticed cracking on the underside of one of the arms, around one of the four motor mounting screws (below). Upon close inspection, and under good lighting, I can see many of the motor mounting screws on all arms have "hairline" cracks developing. A quick Google told me this is not uncommon.

I periodically check all screws for tightness, so it is possible I have slightly over-tightened them. However, I am fairly careful not to.

I am continuing to fly, and I will keep monitoring the cracking. I will replace the shell once the cracking starts to really worsen. Replacement shells are around $100, and there is a good shell replacement tutorial on YouTube. The job seems to take 2-5 hours.

Anyway just a heads-up to watch for this as your hours get up.

Attachments

• crack.JPG
    crack.JPG
    228.4 KB · Views: 843
Have you ever used prop guards or Loctite (threadlocker)?

Just curious.

I guess it is possible to overtighten them or it may be just wear-and-tear. ;)

A other question.
Did you balance the props ?

I just checked mine and I don't see any fractures (100+ flights). To prevent this from worsening, you could open her up, dismount the motors, and apply a thin film of epoxy around the motor mount area. Take care not to get any in the screw holes and allow it to cure completely before remounting the motors. It seems DJI has threadlocker on all of the screws so you don't need to go nuts on tightening them down. If you decide to apply more threadlocker, do NOT get any on the plastic, or get a product that is plastic-safe.

75 flights here with no cracks.

I use a Wiha torque driver to check all fasteners, never used prop guards.

The Loctite, and it's fumes, or frequent prop-guard donning and doffing. Both are stressful.

DJI used a pre-applied (cured) type so there is no chance of interaction.
In my experience, after several removals and re-insertions, I have not found the need to apply more.

Frequent inspection has not found any screws prone to frequent loosening.

N017RW said:

The Loctite, and it's fumes, or frequent prop-guard donning and doffing. Both are stressful.

In my experience, after several removals and re-insertions, I have not found the need to apply more.

Idem ditto.

N017RW said:

:D Never had problems with my screws, except the pia tip ones. The heads are very soft and easily stripped.
The rule with plastic=tight is tight! Too tight is broken. :cry:

Dirty Bird said:
I just checked mine and I don't see any fractures (100+ flights). To prevent this from worsening, you could open her up, dismount the motors, and apply a thin film of epoxy around the motor mount area. Take care not to get any in the screw holes and allow it to cure completely before remounting the motors. It seems DJI has threadlocker on all of the screws so you don't need to go nuts on tightening them down. If you decide to apply more threadlocker, do NOT get any on the plastic, or get a product that is plastic-safe.

Thanks DB. If I am going to open the shell and remove the motors I might just go ahead and do a shell replacement, only another 3 hours...perfect job for a rainy day :cool:

N017RW said:

I have never used Loctite, or prop-guards.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic