Cracked Shell Phantom 3 Standard

Reaction score
Bought a brand new Standard at BJ'S last week. About 7 flights later, I noticed the dreaded cracked shell under one of the motors. 4 cracks in a starburst pattern around one of the screws. I promptly returned the bird and received a new one. DJI has one more chance. If this one cracks, I'm done with DJI and will get a refund. After all this time, one would think this would have been resolved. Guess not.
I flew and still fly my Phantom 1 without any issue but I wanted the newer technology. I flew the Standard very carefully and still got the cracks....Pretty disappointed but really do appreciate the return policy of BJ's....Rant over....LOL

Had mine since feb and fly pretty hard, and no signs of cracking to date. I have installed quick release prop gaurds so the brackets may help beef up that area.

Reactions: jointeffort
What I noticed in great frequency is that people who use or have used prop guards have lower chances of developing motor mount cracks. I speculate that most Phantom 3 that came out of the factory are over-torqued. But with people who installed prop guards via DIY, we tend to have less tendency to over-torque the screws for fear of crossing the threads of the plastic shell.

I installed a prop-guard prior to my first flight and only removed them a couple of months later. My motor mounts have no cracks in them except for the one leg that took the force of a previous crash (long story, and unfortunately it happened weeks after the prop guards were removed). Otherwise, all three legs are in pristine condition.

Anyway, it's just a theory.

I wonder also if some of the issues are caused by unbalanced props. While it appears that most DJI props are correctly balanced, unbalanced props will create more vibration which would increase the stress on the shell.

What I noticed in great frequency is that people who use or have used prop guards have lower chances of developing motor mount cracks. I speculate that most Phantom 3 that came out of the factory are over-torqued. But with people who installed prop guards via DIY, we tend to have less tendency to over-torque the screws for fear of crossing the threads of the plastic shell.

I installed a prop-guard prior to my first flight and only removed them a couple of months later. My motor mounts have no cracks in them except for the one leg that took the force of a previous crash (long story, and unfortunately it happened weeks after the prop guards were removed). Otherwise, all three legs are in pristine condition.

Anyway, it's just a theory.
I think that's a sound theory, and would recommend anyone with a new bird to, if they're not going to install prop guards, at least loosen those screws a bit.

Reactions: jointeffort
Ah, another KRACK thread....

Nothing new with the p3 range is it is?

I replaced my shell last year on my p3 standard, let me just remind everyone, I had 3 p3 standards and all of them cracked less than 3 gentle flights in, I even balanced my props before first flight. All from different dealers, may I add. Including the new shell design with X brace pattern in between the 4 motor screws on each arm... Still KRACKED' no guards installed or any screws touched. My first p3 standard cracked after the first hover flight!

Since I replaced my shell last year on the current p3 standard -I have flown it around 5 times since. No cracks. (My thread is on here somewhere, with pics included) - of me replacing my shell... I now know, no screw is over torqued. As it may have been from the factory.

I still check mine after every flight. I try to be gentle on the sticks and only fly line of sight in GPS mode.

I even purchased a spare shell to keep.

The truth is from my experience.... It's either or both of these.. the cooler weather in December last year (UK) may have paid a big part in shells cracking on all three of my p3s (it was not that cold, I have seen people fly theirs in ice and snow with no problems).

Number 2, it's more than likely a plastic issue with the shells them selves. Too thin, poor design/weak around the motor mounts... Which leads to cracks.

As I've said many times on here before... Anyone who does not have cracks on their p3... You must be lucky, I would check with a flashlight at different angles and look closely... If you have hairline cracks, you will see them.

In my original post, I stated that I would try one more Standard and if that cracked, I would call it a day. I lied. I tried 3 more for a total of 4, all 4 suffered from cracks around the motor screws. I flew them all very gently.
I'm now looking at an Autel XSTAR Premium......My Phantom 1 still flies great and I really tear the sky up with that one for about 7-8 minutes.....LOL

Highest reason for shell cracks (if it's the updated she'll) is from incorrect screw torquing during assembly(too tight). If you have a good sense of how tight things should be slack the screws and retighten them yourself. If you aren't then maybe leave it alone as you might crack the shell yourself trying this.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Hellhunter
New user here and new to drones in general. Just bought a p3 standard and after two 10 minute flights and about 5k feet traveled I found a crack. It starts in one motor mount hole, goes across and through another then up the side to where the two halves meet. How long does DJI warranty repairs usually take?

Made about 20-30 flights so far, all good. I did however loosened and retightened the motor screws to 'just tight' when I got the bird.

New user here and new to drones in general. Just bought a p3 standard and after two 10 minute flights and about 5k feet traveled I found a crack. It starts in one motor mount hole, goes across and through another then up the side to where the two halves meet. How long does DJI warranty repairs usually take?
They fixed mine the same day they received it and shipped it back to me the next day. Excellent turnaround time and communication with status update emails. They paid shipping both ways too. Hat off to DJI repair service.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: QuadcopterCrazy
I fixed mine with plast-aid. Open up the shell (which was a pain) remove the motors and fill around the motor mounts with plast-aid - there's plenty of posts on it. I've had no problems since doing it. For everyone thinking it's over torquing that's the problem or that mounts will help - it isn't and they don't. Plenty of folks with the guards have the cracks, and plenty that loosen the screws still have the problem. What's consistent is that it's always the counter clockwise motors ... it's a bad design. Plast-aid fixed it for me from the inside - it's been several months including cold weather flights and no recurring issue.

I fixed mine with plast-aid. Open up the shell (which was a pain) remove the motors and fill around the motor mounts with plast-aid - there's plenty of posts on it. I've had no problems since doing it. For everyone thinking it's over torquing that's the problem or that mounts will help - it isn't and they don't. Plenty of folks with the guards have the cracks, and plenty that loosen the screws still have the problem. What's consistent is that it's always the counter clockwise motors ... it's a bad design. Plast-aid fixed it for me from the inside - it's been several months including cold weather flights and no recurring issue.
I placed metal motor mounts on my P3 s and P3 p and found that they cracked the bottom shell where it curls up next to the motor. I probably over torqued and/or the mount itself stressed the shell. In either case I wouldn't suggest anyone buy them.
Did you have a full crack or stress crack and has the plastic aid continue to work for you?

Stress cracks. Yes - been well over a year and the stuff works amazingly. No new cracks and it’s strong as ever. I’ve used this stuff to repair a lot of things - it will hold the full-on cracks without issue. I think you’ll be pretty amazed at how much pressure it can take after the repair.

I placed metal motor mounts on my P3 s and P3 p and found that they cracked the bottom shell where it curls up next to the motor. I probably over torqued and/or the mount itself stressed the shell. In either case I wouldn't suggest anyone buy them.
Did you have a full crack or stress crack and has the plastic aid continue to work for you?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj