Cracked shell older phantom 3 pro model

Reaction score
Ok guys I feel its my time to chime in. I had this Phantom 3 Pro for a year now. I placed my order and was part of the 2nd batch that came to the US. After a few months I saw people complaining about cracked shells and where the screws are in the motors. I noticed little cracks in mine and didn't want to deal with the 2-3 months wait time for repairs they were offering at the time. I slapped on some zip ties and been fine ever since. Well I that was dumb because now I'm pass the 1 year warranty and I noticed the cracks got very slightly worse even with the zip ties on. I do believe the zip ties helped a lot. Unfortunately they didn't do the trick. With people posting about their motors ripping off and arms cracking in half I am a bit nervous to keep flying. I never had an issue and I'm afraid my luck is running out so I contacted DJI and they said
"
we can provide a shipping label for repair

Are you going to charge me for repair

this is not user error as it never crashed

its just a defective unit

16:59:41
we will send you an invoice with the detailed explanation for it"

My dilemma is what should I do. Should I send it in and repair at my own cost? Should I sell on craigslist and upgrade to the Phantom 4. I have ND filters, think tank bag and 4 Phantom 3 batteries. I'm afraid if I send it in for repair the same thing is going to happen because lets face it the phantom 3 was poorly designed frame. I'm afraid of buying a new Phantom 3 Pro and keeping all my accessories as the same thing might happen even with a newer model

MQMlpjo.jpg

dgPx7nm.jpg

bbDrYoY.jpg

SRlXMOw.jpg

Ok guys I feel its my time to chime in. I had this Phantom 3 Pro for a year now. I placed my order and was part of the 2nd batch that came to the US. After a few months I saw people complaining about cracked shells and where the screws are in the motors. I noticed little cracks in mine and didn't want to deal with the 2-3 months wait time for repairs they were offering at the time. I slapped on some zip ties and been fine ever since. Well I that was dumb because now I'm pass the 1 year warranty and I noticed the cracks got very slightly worse even with the zip ties on. I do believe the zip ties helped a lot. Unfortunately they didn't do the trick. With people posting about their motors ripping off and arms cracking in half I am a bit nervous to keep flying. I never had an issue and I'm afraid my luck is running out so I contacted DJI and they said
"
we can provide a shipping label for repair

Are you going to charge me for repair

this is not user error as it never crashed

its just a defective unit

16:59:41
we will send you an invoice with the detailed explanation for it"

My dilemma is what should I do. Should I send it in and repair at my own cost? Should I sell on craigslist and upgrade to the Phantom 4. I have ND filters, think tank bag and 4 Phantom 3 batteries. I'm afraid if I send it in for repair the same thing is going to happen because lets face it the phantom 3 was poorly designed frame. I'm afraid of buying a new Phantom 3 Pro and keeping all my accessories as the same thing might happen even with a newer model

MQMlpjo.jpg

dgPx7nm.jpg

bbDrYoY.jpg

SRlXMOw.jpg

I do shell replacements all the time, and a very fast turn around. If you're interested.

I do shell replacements all the time, and a very fast turn around. If you're interested.

I appreciate your offer. Im in the state of confusion right now. Because it seems people are getting stress cracks and motors ripping off even with the newer Phantom 3 Pro models. I haven't seen any stress crack problems with the Phantom 4. But, I have so many nice accessories for my Phantom 3 :\

I suspect DJI will use up (and unfortunately maybe even re-order) the parts they have from whomever their injection molding vendor is.

Waiting to see if they changed vendors or got a better batch for the P4.

I would get a replacement shell.

Then , while it's apart, pour in a 2 part resin to fill & re-enforce the problems area.

I did something similar to mine and now it's a flying tank !!

I 3 D print Arm Reinforcements that bolt onto the shell and give it more rigidity.

Hit me up if interested.

I would get a replacement shell.

Then , while it's apart, pour in a 2 part resin to fill & re-enforce the problems area.

I did something similar to mine and now it's a flying tank !!
Good idea. Maybe lay a piece of fiberglass on it too.

Honestly just buy a new shell or send your bird in for repair and wait. It is what it is and defects are bound to happen. Nothing in the world is perfect so to complain about it is along the lines of dreaming.

Hell if mine had cracks I'd be kind of excited I'd have a fresh new shell to paint (vs going through the hassle of removing everything just to paint my current shell).

Reactions: SkynetOne
Do the shell replacement or part it out on eBay. I have done a few shells. Not that hard. Check you tube.
You can get a fancy judo dipped shell for about $100.
I can tell u where or just check the classifieds on here.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4