Cracked base of phantom battery

Reaction score
Hey All,

I was charging the phantom 2 battery and it dropped on the floor by accident :(. I cracked the base of the hard case protector (photo attached)...It still turns on and their doesn't appear to be damage inside. Do you think I can continue to use it or do I need to buy a new battery? Wondering if this has happened to anyone and what they decided to do.

Attachments

• IMG_0720.JPG
    IMG_0720.JPG
    586.7 KB · Views: 992
I'm no expert, but I'd say that if the only damage is the white outer housing and not the actual battery itself, then you are probably OK.

Personally, I would use some super glue to repair the case as long as the battery itself is not showing any signs of swelling.

Yes. I would get some good glue and seal the cracks. I use Loctite Gel super glue for most everything. I read here, that it dissolves the Phantom's plastic. I did a test and I didn't experience that. This glue takes 5 minutes to set, so it gives you some working time. They came out with a professional super gel glue. So far, it doesn't,work as well.

Same thoughts as above.
Sorry to read you had an accident with your battery.
At least it shows us how fragile these batteries are.

Ya thats just the cage that looks cracked. Throw some super glue on it and close the cracks together and let it bond and it will be all ok. If its real springy and hard to hold the cracks shut while trying to super glue it tape works well to hold it and let it sit till the super glue bites in to the plastic some. You can also spit on super glue or rub some baking soda on it to change the ph and make it set instantly.

A lot have posted using superglue which will work, but I personally prefer a 2 part epoxy resin. You can probably get some at your local hardware store. It's easier to work with and it seems to provide more strength, at least based on my experience.

You can also spit on super glue or rub some baking soda on it to change the ph and make it set instantly.

:lol: Hadn't heard that tip before ! Slick ;)

I learned the bacon soda trick about 20 years ago from a guy that used to build rc plans and there was or still is a product by zap that was for spraying on cynio acrylic glues to harden it. Turns out its just a spray bottle of water and baking soda.

But I didnt know it was just the ph change that caused it to set till my father inlaw who was emt and combat medic in nam. He said it was the ph change that was what makes it harden when its in contact with blood when its used to close a wound. Which is what cyanoacrylic acid (AKA superglue) was originally invented for.

Ohary said:
A lot have posted using superglue which will work, but I personally prefer a 2 part epoxy resin. You can probably get some at your local hardware store. It's easier to work with and it seems to provide more strength, at least based on my experience.
+1
or JB Weld. Still holding my pile of junk "Nuke" battery together.

J.James said:
I learned the bacon soda trick about 20 years ago .....

Somebody say bacon??? :0

I would get a heat tourch and put a flame to the crack, it will melt the plastic a little, pushe the crack edges together and let it cool. The crack will fuze together.... I'm kidding

Be sure the glue is dry before inserting the battery into your Phantom........ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome to the forum,

And as you're new here, I think we should not assume that you know the risks with LiPo.
You'll find several Youtube videos on their fire hazard potential.
And if you ever decide to take your Phantom away with you, on an aircraft, you'll need to declare the batteries and take them as carry-on.

With the volatility of LiPo, I would be very reluctant to use anything that even chances dissolving plastic. The battery sheath is a lot thinner than the white casing and would melt far easier, leaking out the battery's fluid contents - a potential hazard. Unlike other materials, plastic almost needs a little melting to make a strong join - a lot like welding - and that's what most plastic joiners do.

DJI say that any damaged battery should be disposed of (thoughtfully). Suggesting to glue the casing is inviting risk. I'm not saying don't do it, but if you do, you should take great care and monitor the battery carefully, especially while charging, and for quite some time after doing the repair.

Somebody say bacon??? :0
lol opps ya I must of had yummy stuff on my mind.

If some one did want to dispose of there other wise perfect battery send it to me I'm make sure its recycled properly. :)

oh and dont forget the other warning that DJI has with these battery's. DO NOT SWOLLOW THEM. and if you do seek medical help right away. lol lol Iike thats even possible to swallow one of those puppys.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20