Course Lock

Reaction score
When I am in Course Lock, my P3 seems to drift when I turn the craft to the left or right or when I pirouette it. It doesn't go straight according to where the front was set at when I hit 'apply'. Has anyone experienced this or knows what the problem could be?

When I am in Course Lock, my P3 seems to drift when I turn the craft to the left or right or when I pirouette it. It doesn't go straight according to where the front was set at when I hit 'apply'. Has anyone experienced this or knows what the problem could be?

See recent post

Course lock does not | DJI Phantom Drone Forum

I was having the same problem.

Reactions: N017RW
Try compass calibration.... course lock uses the compass to know where it's pointing...
Calibration is not required. Understanding the flight function is.

I acknowledged that in the thread linked in this one.
Calibration is most abused because of misunderstandings about function expectations. Poor compass cal would be noticeable in other flight modes as well.

Again, I don't own a P3, Yes there is a difference.
HL returns you to Home Point with Right stick back regardless of current heading. Like spokes of a wheel to the Hub.

CL moves in Heading direction (saved as Course heading) with Right stick forward regardless of current heading. All other Right stick motions are relative to saved Course heading.

Reactions: deltamike
CL moves in Heading direction (saved as Course heading) with Right stick forward regardless of current heading. All other Right stick motions are relative to saved Course heading.

Understood - thank you. Is it true to say :-

All other Right stick motions are relative to saved Course heading but might deviate off the compass heading to one side or the other due to wind drift?

Last edited:
I have not used it beyond testing it.
It is a compass based function so it should compensate for wind induced Yaw. Path over ground I would expect to be influenced by wind but, to say again, the 'nose' should remain fixed to a heading.

Reactions: deltamike
I have not used it beyond testing it.
It is a compass based function so it should compensate for wind induced Yaw. Path over ground I would expect to be influenced by wind but, to say again, the 'nose' should remain fixed to a heading.

Thank you for your reply. That reply makes the situation clear for me - and hopefully others.:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav