Course Lock

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this course lock thing.
I've put the Phantom out about 60ft, switched over to course lock and tried to take advantage of it, but so far I've not found any difference between it and just being in regular GPS mode.
Is there something I'm missing?

Also in home lock, lot's of videos talk about the craft making a circle when close to you or takeoff point. Am I missing something here, mine does nothing of the sort, maybe I've watched to many videos.

Everything else seems to be normal.

Ozzyguy said:
Have you enabled IOC in your software assistant?
I have no idea, it was supposed to be all set up when I purchased it.
I'm running a Mac, and I get the impression this presents a problem.

You don't have to know how to build a motor to drive a car.

Ok you will need to connect your phantom to the computer. Download and run the assistant software from the dji website. You tube the procedure to update your phatnom. Then enable IOC

Ozzyguy said:
Ok you will need to connect your phantom to the computer. Download and run the assistant software from the dji website. You tube the procedure to update your phatnom. Then enable IOC

Got the assistant software, but been very leery about tapping into it especially the upgrade. From what I'm reading it may cause me more problems than I already have.

OK, hooked up to the computer, it says IOC is off.
I don't see anything in the directions as to what to do next.

Left click the IOC check box. Once it shows a tick you're in business. Then disconnect power to the phantom. Reconect it and check the that it is still enabled. Then power off your craft shut down the assistant software and your away.

Crap, now it's saying main controller firmware mis-match, please upgrade firmware.

Does that mean upgrading to the new firmware, then what?

Sounds like you will have to redo the firmware update. and after you do make sure you then reinstall the default parameters and then go threw all the settings in the naza software to make sure every thing is set how you want it again. Such as the IOC being turned back on and also make sure that your fail safe setting is set to the setting for it to come home and then land not the other option were it will just land were ever it happens to be over if it ever goes in to fail safe. Cause that can get you in to a real pickle if it ever decids to just land some place and you cant see were its at when it does.

Now on about home lock and course lock. Home lock "SHOULD" and I say should cause I cant seem to figure it out all the way. But the way its supposed to work is in home lock and the thing about the circle. Picture a circle and the home point you took off from as being the center of that circle. actually picture it like a clock with 12 o'clock being straight ahead of you away from the home point. If you push your right stick up it will go away from home. pull it down and it will come back to the home. right should send it towards 3 o clock and to the left should make it go towards the 9 clock. Tho the way I always under stood it no matter what direction away from home you flew it that if you flip the switch in to home lock that pulling back on the stick is supposed to make it come back towards the home position tho it dont seem to do that with mine inless its straight ahead of me towards the 12 oclock position. and if it ever some how gets behind me it still keeps going what ever way the stick is pulled. So I really am still trying to make heads or tails how its much difrent then course lock other then it dont matter what way the nose is pointing back is back forward is forward and left and right is left and right. with out regards to the crafts left or right.

Now CL is a lil bit more easier to understand. What ever way the nose is faceing when the CL position is recorded will be forward form the home point regardless of how you steer it and what ever way the nose is facing when its flying. So lets use the clock example again. If you take off and have the course lock direction facing 12 oclock when the CL position is recorded. And push the stick forward it will go straight towards 12 oclock even if while in flight you spin the phantom so the nose is now pointing towards say 9 oclock. forward on the right stick will still make it fly towards 12 o'clock but the nose will stay pointed towards 9 o'clock. You can even spin the craft in circles by pushing the left stick all the way to the left or right and it will still fly in a straight line forward if you are pushing your right stick up. BTW that makes for a cool effect when night flying. The good thing about cl is you dont have to worry about what ever direction is the phantoms left or right or front or back when flying if your cl point is set faceing with the nose pointing forward from you when you take off no matter what way the nose is pointing in flight YOUR left will make it fly left in relation to your left or right front or back providing you are still your self still facing what ever direction was forward.

Thanks for the explanation.
I had a Blade 350QX before I bought the Phantom and it was a lot easier to understand to understand the functions.
Really liked the fact that when you brought it home, it would stop about 30' before it got to you, and not fly past you.

Keep in mind also that when you're in home lock, pulling back on the stick will bring the craft back to you to a certain distance (20 meters I think? it is in the documentation), at that point it will revert to course lock, which depending on your orientation at takeoff, could cause a different result than home lock.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20