Course Lock

Reaction score
Course Lock. Is there any way to see the course value locked in or to edit the value?

I took the compass reading of one side of a building, expecting to use course lock, and set in my desired course. I saw to way to adjust this value.

Or at least see the value of heading of the craft in the application so I can turn before applying course lock.

Rotate your air craft in the direction of the wished course and then apply it. You can see the degrees of the course on the CL menu before you apply in the Go app

Reactions: starship
im still yet to use this but not had much use for it yet, maybe flying through some trees or between two structures

In my opinion, one of the best uses for Course Lock is when you need to film a travelling pass with the camera focused on a subject as the drone approaches it, crosses in front of it, and leaves if at the rear, while the camera is always centered on it (can be a person or a group in some place, or a monument, a tower, a lighthouse...).
If you intend to fly towards a place and you want to continuously center your point of interest, the maneuvers to be performed smoothly and correctly are almost impossible for any pilot: imagine yourself having to fly a course, and while your object or people starts to appear moving towards the centre of the screen, you have to apply yaw to maintain the object centered, without deciating from your course.
The logical moves to do are:
- Start to yaw, but due to this yawing rotation, the course of the drone is altered, and then
- You must fix the course back by moving right stick to the left, and also backwards. All this tries to compensate the course deviation, but also modifies again the yaw, which have to be fixed again, ...

At any moment, yaw, AND lateral direction AND forward/backwards direction have to be applied, causing either jerky movements of the camera, or taking the object out of the center of the screen, or (even worse) deviate the trajectory of the drone with the inherent danger of collision.

COURSE MODE will permit you choose first the appropriate course pointing the drone towards a course that can be seen at the screen without dangerous obstacles in between, and telling the machine that this will have to be its valid course. Once this course is recorded by tapping Apply in the mode button, you only have to move the right stick in ONE direction only: forward, and maintain the speed that you want. The aircraft will follow the recorded course without deviating from it and disregarding the yawing movements you might make. You can then, forget to check trajectory and obstacles, and concentrate only in yawing the drone to get the camera centered on the subject, while right thumb finger is "fixed" given forward movement without danger.

Last edited:
Hi, I am missing the Course Lock in the mavic air. It is the most important flight mode when you will have easy
filming with the mavic. All cheap drones like hubsan have the headless mode (the same as COURSE LOCK).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl