Course lock wouldn't work

Reaction score
Went flying all day today and when I start I usually run the drone about 100 yards from where I am standing, rotate it a couple of times and put it in course lock and bring it back. It wouldn't come back but just flew over to the right or left. Yes I did the calibration and Home Lock. Something else, the return to home worked fine, matter of fact everything worked fine except for the course lock....anybody go any idea what might have cause this.

Artur H said:
Check the software setting, make sure it is enabled there.

+1
Enable NAZA and then check the IOC box.
make sure the changes have been applied.

Course lock wouldn't come back? Home Lock is the setting that allows you to pull back on the right stick and have the phantom return to you. Course lock is just directional flying based on the original heading.

DrJoe said:
Course lock wouldn't come back? Home Lock is the setting that allows you to pull back on the right stick and have the phantom return to you. Course lock is just directional flying based on the original heading.
Good catch DrJoe! Yep HL is what brings it back if you pull the stick back. I think you also have to be a certain distance out to set it.

I fully understand both of the HL and CL. Problem I was having was I pointed the front of the DJI ran it in a straight around 100 yards, turned it a couple of times and then switch to CL. Maybe I am not understanding this but I thought one you did this and pulled the right lever towards me it would come back. Instead what it was doing was in CL mode when trying to bring it back it would go right when pulling the lever back.

I've never understood course lock. What is the purpose of it? I'm just not sure when or how it would be useful.

Connect to the assistant software and check your switch. I had one fail and it behaved like this.

You did set CL before using it, correct? I.e. you made sure that the new forward was set as the new forward by flicking the switch up and down 5 times, which then is confirmed with the Phantom's green LEDs blinking. All that was checked, correct?

If CL doesn't work after all that, then, yeah, you may have an issue with your switch.

That said, I'm still not sure if you're really grasping the concept of CL. Perhaps it's just me not getting your description...

hey_moe said:
I fully understand both of the HL and CL. Problem I was having was I pointed the front of the DJI ran it in a straight around 100 yards, turned it a couple of times and then switch to CL. Maybe I am not understanding this but I thought one you did this and pulled the right lever towards me it would come back. Instead what it was doing was in CL mode when trying to bring it back it would go right when pulling the lever back.
Home Lock is what you flip the S1 switch all the way to the bottom & pull back stick. Course lock ( middle location S2 ) is what you set while you set the phantom front in a certain direction. (either to the left, right, backwards, etc) CL is good for doing video, etc. CL is just that, it locks in the orientation of your phantom normally set prior to flight.
If you get on you tube, there are tons of very good videos that will explain both HL & CL.

hey_moe said:
That's Home Lock

Course Lock maintains the drone's travel direction relative to you no matter where it's pointed. It would allow the drone, for example, to travel in one direction while yawing/rotating 360 degrees without changing course.

It appears that you don't fully understand IOC. The manual isn't very clear, I'd recommend checking Youtube...there are some very good explanations. I like this one, found it pretty clearly laid out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYYVyRVGE-8

Pmcdn said:
I've never understood course lock. What is the purpose of it? I'm just not sure when or how it would be useful.

'Let's say you start up your quad facing north. You get all the proper lights, do compass dance. You take off. If you go straight north, and and turn the craft so it's not facing north anymore, you can select HL or CL and pull back on right stick and it will come back to takeoff spot. Now let's say you fly it 100 yards to your left..WEST. In HL it will fly East back to you at takeoff spot. If you had selected CL , it would fly south with back stick and north with forward stick even while its a hundred yards to your left no matter which way the quad is facing. You may want to do video at a place you can't get to for takeoff. Say a drag strip. If you face the quad parallel with the strip at power up and get all your lights, now you can fly over above the strip and fly in line with it with only forward or back stick no matter the direction the quad is facing or the way you are facing or if you have moved. Now if you have moved from takeoff point and select HL and pull back on right stick, it will head back to original takeoff spot, not to you. So, the direction the quad is facing at startup is important. Hope this helps

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj