Course lock - windy condition - what to expect

Reaction score
I like to try course lock for the first time tomorrow in preparation of a real estate shot. As I am directly at the coast I have to deal with about 5+kt of wind perpendicular to my flight pass. It is my understanding GPS guidance is dissabled in F-mode so I have to expect offset of my course while I am unable to counter steer. Am I right with this assumption? Toggeling back to P mode will give me back instant controll under GPS guidance if I drift too far. Of course, I will do test runs with plenty of safety altitude to avoid running in buildings or trees.
Eventually I want to do a flyby below roof altitude but practice comes first.
Can I change from P to F and therefore enable course lock on the fly while in the air or are there other steps involved? Of course I would enable advanced mode IOS before launch, but would start in P mode and stabilize at a good starting point and switch over into F mode and course lock for the flyby and switching back to P mode For more stabilized flying.
perhaps I am overthinking it, but I appreciate comments from more experienced P3 pilots

Page 55 of the manual indicates that CL does not use GPS.
But they use the obscure indicator of 'counts'.

Course Lock definitely uses GPS. I think the manual might be trying to say GPS is not required in order to use course lock. My Chinese is not that good though :)

Yet more confusion! :rolleyes:
Will the real Orientation Lock please stand up and tell us how you actually function!

If Course Lock is enabled then GPS is No.
Translates to Chinese as:
如果啟用鎖定當然GPS話沒有。
Which translates to English as:
If GPS is enabled, then of course there is no lock.

Any questions? :-/

It all makes perfect sense now :D

If Course Lock is enabled then GPS is No.
Translates to Chinese as:
如果啟用鎖定當然GPS話沒有。
Which translates to English as:
If GPS is enabled, then of course there is no lock.

Any questions? :-/
Consistent with the anecdotal flying experiences cited above in wind!
Better question would be, why not?

I get gps in CL and usually fly in CL most of the time I never had any problems. With gps or stability.

I can only comment on my own experiences: when setting Cl with crosswind and flying strictly forward, phantom is going slightly to lee. Flying back on the same course with the stick strictly pulled back, the phantom comes back but is again a little more offset to lee. To me that makes it clear we have some drift induced by the crosswind. If the CL was GPS supported it should compensate for the drift and end up more or less at the initiation point, not offset to lee.
It is not a problem for me as I can either compensate during flight or setting my course slighly to windward when planning a shot.

I hope someone else would fly the exercise and report their findings.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues