Course lock question

Reaction score
Hey everyone. How does the phantom decide what course to use for course lock mode? Does it use the current course at the instant you flip the switch? Does it use the first course flown away from from home point? Mine is not doing what I think it should be doing, so perhaps I don't understand it correctly. Thanks for the help,

James

The first time its set when it gets home lock on the ground in whatever orientation you have it. But it can be reset by flipping S2 five times in flight.

This is a good video and well explained.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9tncWssRns

EDIT Actually I thought this was in the Plus forum. not sure how the Vision differs.

Don't think of it as Course Lock, think IOC intelligent orientation control.
As soon as you select it no matter where the phantom is pointing, left / right / forward and back on the stick will make the phantom move in that direction relative to the home point.
So even if the phantom was flying at 90'0 to you, pulling back on the stick will make it fly towards you.

^ thats home lock. Course lock direction is set at the first set of rapid green flashing lights, 30 seconds after power on. Whatever direction the nose is pointed at that time is forward when using course lock.

no its not, course lock or ioc will as I said make the phantom fly in the direction you push the sticks, left is left and right is right etc. regardless of which way the phantom is pointing.
Assuming you start off with the phantom facing away from you, which you should.
Home lock is when you pull back on the stick and the phantom will fly directly towards the home point even If it is pointing in another direction.

harbourside said:
As soon as you select it no matter where the phantom is pointing, left / right / forward and back on the stick will make the phantom move in that .
Unless the non plus version is different that is not totally true.

And you do not need to start it pointing away from you. Just need to start it pointing the direction you want the away grid to be aligned.

The thing to remember is the C Lock is going to work on whatever grid you locked it at. If that was on the ground at start up or with the S1 five flip during flight.

ONCE AGAIN assuming the non plus is the same.

harbourside said:
no its not, course lock or ioc will as I said make the phantom fly in the direction you push the sticks, left is left and right is right etc. regardless of which way the phantom is pointing.
Assuming you start off with the phantom facing away from you, which you should.
Home lock is when you pull back on the stick and the phantom will fly directly towards the home point even If it is pointing in another direction.

+1 -- this is correct.

5 flips of the switch, got it. I figured there must be a way to set it manually while in the air. Thanks

Edit. That doesn't also reset the home point does it? I seem to recall that's what flipping he switch repeatedly does.

It does on the V2+ anyway. Its all the same. The home and direction get set at same time.

I always set the Phantom in the direction I want it on the ground. Let it get home lock (includes direction) and then fly. But if I need to change the course I do the five flip deal noting that this is home.

harbourside said:

Please, no more dis-information. Do you refer "left" and "right" as where your nose is pointing to?

This topic is laden with misinformation. Course lock and home lock are quite different, and resetting course lock (Naza mode only - S2 flipped 3 or more times from OFF to CL) does not reset home point (Naza mode - S2 flipped 3 or more times CL to HL, or Phantom mode - S2 flipped 5 or more times from top to bottom).

Course lock changes flight behavior so that forward pitch always drives the aircraft in the direction it was pointing at power on, or the direction it was pointing when CL was reset, independent of the direction it subsequently points (i.e. yaw does not alter flight direction). Roll input is, as usual, relative to pitch input.

sar104 said:
This topic is laden with misinformation. Course lock and home lock are quite different, and resetting course lock (Naza mode only - S2 flipped 3 or more times from OFF to CL) does not reset home point (Naza mode - S2 flipped 3 or more times CL to HL, or Phantom mode - S2 flipped 5 or more times from top to bottom).

Definitely quite different.

But not following what you are saying. So In NAZA mode.

S2 top to center 3 or more will reset course lock.
S2 center to bottom 3 or more times resets home mode.

Is that correct? I assume top to bottom resets home and course lock and home as that's normally what I do.

rrmccabe said:
sar104 said:

Definitely quite different.

But not following what you are saying. So In NAZA mode.

S2 top to center 3 or more will reset course lock.
S2 center to bottom 3 or more times resets home mode.

Is that correct? I assume top to bottom resets home and course lock and home as that's normally what I do.

You seem to be following just fine. First two correct. Last one might reset both, but is not covered in the manual and I have never tried it.

Thank you for the education. I am pretty sure top to bottom does both and will try all three methods next time out to burn this into my brain.

AnselA said:
harbourside said:

Please, no more dis-information. Do you refer "left" and "right" as where your nose is pointing to?

My nose (as in the one on the end of my face) is pointing at the Phantom, and with Course Lock active, the Phantom will follow my stick inputs exactly as I have already stated, regardless of the Phantoms orientation, left is left and so on. How much clearer do I need to be?
Yes this is assuming it was originally pointing away from you at the start, but surly that is how you should take off.
Obviously if you reset the Course Lock mid flight then it will be different, but that was not the original question.

The original question was simply "what does it use as its CL direction?" The answer is: the direction it was facing when powered up or, if CL was reset after power up, the direction it was facing at reset. It's heading at the moment that it is switched to CL is not important.

harbourside said:
My nose (as in the one on the end of my face) is pointing at the Phantom, and with Course Lock active, the Phantom will follow my stick inputs exactly as I have already stated, regardless of the Phantoms orientation, left is left and so on. How much clearer do I need to be?
Yes this is assuming it was originally pointing away from you at the start, but surly that is how you should take off.
Obviously if you reset the Course Lock mid flight then it will be different, but that was not the original question.

I think you just left a couple words out is all. Your first post made it sound like it worked off whatever direction it was pointing when you activated course lock and not where it was locked when you took off or later reset to.

And if I plan on using course lock I don't always take off with it pointing away. I may line it up with a street, building, etc and then take off in IOS and switch to C-lock later.

Regardless, I think everyone is on the same page.

Jeeze, Just look at the DJI Wiki page!

N017RW said:
Jeeze, Just look at the DJI Wiki page!

I fully agree!!!
Consider this a public service announcement.
This thread has a lot of good information...
and a lot of totally bogus information...
and a lot of confusing information...
and unless you already know about IOC you'll never be sure which is which
It is covered in the manual and there are a lot of good videos on the web where you can watch it. Some of these are already listed above.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl