Couple of general questions on making videos

Reaction score
I have recently started flying a Phantom with my GoPro and making some videos, mostly just practicing close by my home. After seeing some of the awesome videos you guys have been making, at least a couple of questions come to my mind.
One is where do you get the music that you put with the video? Is there a place that has like stock music, similar to stock photography sites? Do you generally pay a fee for using it?
Another question is do you generally need to get permission to fly over many of the places you use in your videos? What sort of places do you need or not need permission to use?
Thanks in advance for any answers.

For music, search the 'net for "royalty-free music." The "free" doesn't mean that you can use the music for free. It means that you don't have to pay royalties for each time a video with the music is viewed.

There are some sources for royalty-free music with a free license. My favorite is http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/. You have to include a credit as described on the site.

I've also purchased collections of music from The Music Bakery and others. One nice thing about such collections is that they often include the same track in multiple durations or themes.

-- Roger

If you have a youtube account you can go to the your videos section and they now have a creative section where there is rotalty free music available to download and use with your videos. Using this is the easiesr way to avoid issues with music on yt as Ive had issues with royalty free music bought or freely aquired online at times. But yt has major issues with music and video id so quite often make a false claim against your video and you need to prove you have the right to use it all. They have even flagged videos of mine that had no music where all I can reply is there is no music but then they want to know the artist and track lol. I think someone must have the rights to the phantom drone :lol:

It might also depend on how you wish to display/use your videos.
while it's frowned upon by some, if you use a favorite track by a band you like, youtube will sometimes identify it and then put up a tag for people to buy the song online.
tho the movie might not play on mobile devices or in other countries (like Germany)

Gizmo3000 said:
while it's frowned upon by some, if you use a favorite track by a band you like, youtube will sometimes identify it and then put up a tag for people to buy the song online.
tho the movie might not play on mobile devices or in other countries (like Germany)

YouTube has licensing deals with some music publishers to allow their music to be used. But, they don't make it easy for you to determine what recordings you can use in a video or not because, I assume, they'd rather you didn't use something that requires them to pay royalties. Plus, you can't "monetize" your video if it uses one of these recordings.

So, I generally use royalty-free music as discussed before.

In addition to the other advantages I've already mentioned, royalty-free music tracks are often designed to be "looped" which means you can easily repeat them to fit a specific length of time without it sounding like you've restarted it.

Another source for music is to use software like Acid to create the music. You start with "loops" and build on top of it. One cool thing about this method is that you lay the music down on a time line along with your video. So, you can edit (score) the music to precisely fit the video - changing tempo or key or whatever to match the video.

-- Roger

Gizmo3000 said:

From what I've read, YouTube also need to have the consent from the artist and the producer of the music, most producers won't let you use anything you'll find on the radio, unless the "story" of the video is really good.

I've had videos made unavailable to Germany because of music coming thru on a radio! The radio was on the entire time, but YouTube picked out a point 00:10:35:00 into the video and suggested that was the "offending" song.

Thanks for all the info. I haven't really come up with anything noteworthy yet, but it is great to know how to dress things up a bit with some nice music if the time comes. Between work and our "rainy season" I haven't gotten out much to get some decent video yet.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj