Counterbalancing using the PolarPro ND Filter ?

Reaction score
What is the most efficient way to counterbalance the H3-3D Gimbal after installing the Polarpro ND Filter 2.0?
I have read posts about attaching coins to the motors or backplate or camera.

I think the best location to start with is as close to the lower left side of the Gimbal backplate. There is not much room there due to interference with the leveling pivot.

It seems like a lot of weight is required to get a good counterbalance.

What have you all experienced and any issues with Gimbal performance?

Xrover said:
What is the most efficient way to counterbalance the H3-3D Gimbal after installing the Polarpro ND Filter 2.0?
I have read posts about attaching coins to the motors or backplate or camera.

I think the best location to start with is as close to the lower left side of the Gimbal backplate. There is not much room there due to interference with the leveling pivot.

It seems like a lot of weight is required to get a good counterbalance.

What have you all experienced and any issues with Gimbal performance?
I did notice with no counter balancing the gimbal did not act up, but for piece of mind I used the method in the pic below. Not alot of extra weight and it is perfectly balanced.

Attachments

• Filter.jpg
    Filter.jpg
    428.9 KB · Views: 1,104
I ended up using (3) .25 oz. Stick on Tire weights. Got it perfectly balanced.
Shartlza, I would be concerned with the metal nut/bolt being so close to the compass and the fact that it will constantly be moving right and left and up/down. It might randomly affect the compass. I will try to get some photos of my set up.
Thx for taking the photo of yours!

Xrover said:
Shartlza, I would be concerned with the metal nut/bolt being so close to the compass and the fact that it will constantly be moving right and left and up/down. It might randomly affect the compass. I will try to get some photos of my set up.

Yes please do :)

Xrover said:
I guess it could possibly happen, but I have not had any issues with it. It may be deceiving in the picture, but it is not really that close to the compass. Also i did check it at many orientations if it screwed with the compass values in the assist and all looked good.

I did a video shoot yesterday with the PolarPro ND and my Counterbalanced H3-3D. I was getting some shakiness at various times. I am concerned with all the extra weight pulling down on the Gimbal.

I contacted PolarPro Tech Support Re: counterbalancing with the ND.
This is what they said.
The message reads from last response down to first.

Yes you betcha!

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 2:32 PM, Lenny Schway <[email protected]> wrote:
Thanks Austin,
Quick Question.
On your copters, are you using H3-3D Gimbals?

Lenny Schway
[email protected]
www.lennyschway.com

Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2014 9:20 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: PolarPro Filters

Hi Lenny,

We have heard mixed reviews. some do counterbalance it. (what weight, i don't know) and some do not. we personally don't. and our copter is fine. purring like a kitten.

--
Austin Wolters
Polar Pro Filters
www.polarprofilters.com
www.facebook.com/PolarPro

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member