Couldn't start new P3 Advanced: told to "activate the aircraft"

Reaction score
Hi,

I just got a new Phantom 3. I started the transmitter, the quad, and the app. Having flown the P2V for a year, I automatically went through the motions of a compass calibration, but wasn't sure it worked OK. When I tried to arm the motors, nothing happened to the motors, but instead I was told to log on to dji. So I did. But when I tried to arm the motors again, I was told to "activate the aircraft." I don't know how to do that! I thought that naming the aircraft on dji's site was enough. What should I do? OK, I didn't upgrade the firmware beforehand, but the quickstart guide didn't seem to say that that was mandatory. I'll definitely upgrade it before trying it again. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Have you gone into the DJI Pilot app and registered your P3 ? I believe that's what the P3 is asking you to do.

BTW..I recommend that you DO NOT upgrade the firmware. Ignore the automated push message prompting you to do so !

:harry

Reactions: Mo of Pocatello
Have you gone into the DJI Pilot app and registered your P3 ? I believe that's what the P3 is asking you to do.

BTW..I recommend that you DO NOT upgrade the firmware. Ignore the automated push message prompting you to do so !

Thanks, Harry, for your reply! OK, I won't upgrade the firmware. I thought I had registered the P3, but maybe the registration failed. I don't remember what message I got after trying to register. I'll try again. By the way, where do you find out whether the registration went through? I guess I'll just open the Pilot app again and see what happens.

Mo...I don't have my P3 in front of my right now, but as I remember you can not arm the P3 until you have successfully registered your aircraft.

Try this...open the app, go to the home page and tap the small person icon on the very bottom of the page. This will take you to your profile page. If you see your e-mail address
and your P3 in the box titled "My Aircrafts" with it's "name" then you have registered.

BTW...didn't mean to jump on you about the whole FW thing, but nearly all of us that are flying the "down rev" FW are doing just fine. No need in getting a new owner tangled up with the new FW until it gets all sorted out.

Let me know what you find on your profile page.

Best.

:h

I have ordered a phantom 3 pro to compliment my inspire. Why should I not upgrade the firmware? Whats wrong with it?

There have been a lot of reports of problems with the 1.2.6 (Pro) and the 1.2.8 (Advanced) firmware. Many pilots are experiencing issues with the Vision Positioning System as well as numerous other bugs.

My recommendation to not update to the latest FW is based both on the incidents I have personally witnessed as well as reports from other pilots.

This being said, many pilots are not experiencing any issues. 30 years in Silicon Valley has taught me to err on the side of caution when it comes to FW / SW updates. I expect that there will be another FW rev available later this year. I'm waiting for the next release.

You can read comments on this topic on this forum as well as on RC Groups and make your own decision.

Thanks Harry. I will most likely not install the FW. If when I receive the p3 it does not ask to upgrade, does that mean it is already installed? And how do you check what FW you are running.

If you haven't had any luck yet, the way to get the activate screen to pop up again is to pull the cable from your tablet and plug it back in.

There will already be firmware preloaded and DJI should have a new version soon (?) but the latest at the moment has a few glitches and not enough improvements to justify upgrading at the moment.

With the app open and connected to your P3 (props off) tap the four small dots in the upper right hand corner of the app. That will open general settings. Tap the same four dot icon at the bottom of the settings window, and then tap "about" . You should then see the rev levels for the app, the P3 FW and the controller IIRC correctly.

Mo...I don't have my P3 in front of my right now, but as I remember you can not arm the P3 until you have successfully registered your aircraft.

Try this...open the app, go to the home page and tap the small person icon on the very bottom of the page. This will take you to your profile page. If you see your e-mail address
and your P3 in the box titled "My Aircrafts" with it's "name" then you have registered.

BTW...didn't mean to jump on you about the whole FW thing, but nearly all of us that are flying the "down rev" FW are doing just fine. No need in getting a new owner tangled up with the new FW until it gets all sorted out.

Let me know what you find on your profile page.

Best.

Well, there's nothing there, so the registration failed! I assume I register the aircraft by turning it on? It's late at night here, and the sound it makes when it turns on, though not as obnoxious as that of P2V's, may bother someone. I'll try this in the morning! Thanks.

Well, there's nothing there, so the registration failed! I assume I register the aircraft by turning it on? It's late at night here, and the sound it makes when it turns on, though not as obnoxious as that of P2V's, may bother someone. I'll try this in the morning! Thanks.

I just went outside the house but still within wi-fi range and successfully registered the quad. I even armed the motors successfully! Didn't take off, but I'm sure it is capable of taking off now! Thanks so much for your advise!

Reactions: FASTFJR
I just went outside the house but still within wi-fi range and successfully registered the quad. I even armed the motors successfully! Didn't take off, but I'm sure it is capable of taking off now! Thanks so much for your advise!

Glad it worked out. Enjoy your P3.

There have been a lot of reports of problems with the 1.2.6 (Pro) and the 1.2.8 (Advanced) firmware. Many pilots are experiencing issues with the Vision Positioning System as well as numerous other bugs.

My recommendation to not update to the latest FW is based both on the incidents I have personally witnessed as well as reports from other pilots.

This being said, many pilots are not experiencing any issues. 30 years in Silicon Valley has taught me to err on the side of caution when it comes to FW / SW updates. I expect that there will be another FW rev available later this year. I'm waiting for the next release.

You can read comments on this topic on this forum as well as on RC Groups and make your own decision.

I only read this halfway through upgrading my firmware but it also helped as I couldn't figure out what was going wrong until I saw that there are two different upgrades, one for Pro and one for Advanced. Obviously I was using the wrong one.... nothing new there LOL. I stupidly didn't read it properly and just assumed 1.2.6 was not as new as 1.2.8 but of course I have the Pro so needed 1.2.6. Once that was sorted the upgrade all went fine. My problem is now I am a bit concerned as to what may go wrong if this has glitches. I don't think there is any way to go back to a previous version of the firmware so if it is dodgy I shall end up not being able to fly it until the next firmware is released. Surely this is something DJI should be getting right?

Concerned now.
Rob

I only read this halfway through upgrading my firmware but it also helped as I couldn't figure out what was going wrong until I saw that there are two different upgrades, one for Pro and one for Advanced. Obviously I was using the wrong one.... nothing new there LOL. I stupidly didn't read it properly and just assumed 1.2.6 was not as new as 1.2.8 but of course I have the Pro so needed 1.2.6. Once that was sorted the upgrade all went fine. My problem is now I am a bit concerned as to what may go wrong if this has glitches. I don't think there is any way to go back to a previous version of the firmware so if it is dodgy I shall end up not being able to fly it until the next firmware is released. Surely this is something DJI should be getting right?

Concerned now.
Rob

They've been working on an update for a while. They even spoke of allowing us to roll back to the last working firmware we had. Should all be out soon.. I hope. I'm still on 1.1.9 so no rush.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4