Cost Effective Signal Boosting

Reaction score
Hey guys. Been looking into ways to effectively boost range a bit. Not looking to go 8 miles away, just want a stronger signal. But I'm looking to avoid adding batteries and spending hundreds of dollars or soldiering up my controller board.
Anyone try these out before? Seen a bunch all bragging of 4x range. Impressive if true, for not needing an amp.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C2KOU5G/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awd_u.10wbCE4Y9CT

054543b4ae09358b879ad741f3cdb8d6.jpg

I'm open to ideas and options.
Thanks!

Hey guys. Been looking into ways to effectively boost range a bit. Not looking to go 8 miles away, just want a stronger signal. But I'm looking to avoid adding batteries and spending hundreds of dollars or soldiering up my controller board.
Anyone try these out before? Seen a bunch all bragging of 4x range. Impressive if true, for not needing an amp.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C2KOU5G/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awd_u.10wbCE4Y9CT

054543b4ae09358b879ad741f3cdb8d6.jpg

I'm open to ideas and options.
Thanks!
I want to ask for your cooperation with distance issue of DJI p3advanced

They do work good and it's a bonus to add your own antennas. My wrt1900ac linksys router antennas work really good too. I just bought to get better range around my house, cause a lot of buildings and wifi, and it did what I wanted to do so far. Can't wait to test with these new bad boys I bought, and still waiting for them to ship. 14″ 9dbi White Omni Directional Antennas (pair) instead of paying guy $200 to install those RP-SMA plugs, I just ordered the shalouman and installed, then ordered those omni antennas separate, and saved $200 lol Here is link to antennas I used https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017R6M264/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?qid=1456701626&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=shaluoman+antennas&dpPl=1&dpID=41lx+2I-hkL&ref=plSrch

Last edited:
It looks like they just built a windsurfer into the antenna. The eBay listing shows it works from the reflection principle.

5CD7469AC686169188689E9723CF03C6D6CED51383C866CE16C8D23899CE1323D2CBC89C9616D29D83C753D2CE65C96333C79B43CD6656CA26C8F5CB.jpg

What is more cost effective than a windsurfer?

I do have windsurfers on the way actually. But haven't seen anything showing they will give 4x the distance.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

They do work good and it's a bonus to add your own antennas. My wrt1900ac linksys router antennas work really good too. I just bought to get better range around my house, cause a lot of buildings and wifi, and it did what I wanted to do so far. Can't wait to test with these new bad boys I bought, and still waiting for them to ship. 14″ 9dbi White Omni Directional Antennas (pair) instead of paying guy $200 to install those RMA plugs, I just ordered the shalouman and installed, then ordered those omni antennas separate, and saved $200 lol Here is link to antennas I used https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017...n+antennas&dpPl=1&dpID=41lx+2I-hkL&ref=plSrch

Thanks for the input! How much of an increase in signal are you experiencing?

It's also a thicker wire with better shielding, which gets a stronger more reliable signal.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1456702182.417924.jpg
the wire on the right is broke, so that's why the connection is missing. This is just to show how these wires are thicker and better shielded than stock phantom 3 antennas.

Never had a problem in the open, just around my house was bad. I could barely make it to the bay or Boardwalk. Which is 0.4 miles. And can now get 1 mile! Haven't tested in the open, got 3 miles with stock, and I'm sure these can go farther, but 3 miles is good enough, besides can't go any further without a battery mod anyway.

Never had a problem in the open, just around my house was bad. I could barely make it to the bay or Boardwalk. Which is 0.4 miles. And can now get 1 mile! Haven't tested in the open, got 3 miles with stock, and I'm sure these can go farther, but 3 miles is good enough, besides can't go any further without a battery mod anyway.

Thanks for the input man. Much appreciated

Ya sounds like my status

Emoney609: how you install this range booster antenna? Any guide or video?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

It's also a thicker wire with better shielding, which gets a stronger more reliable signal.View attachment 45324 the wire on the right is broke, so that's why the connection is missing. This is just to show how these wires are thicker and better shielded than stock phantom 3 antennas.
Being thicker means nothing. More obvious shielding means nothing. Unless someone has actually done a decent engineering analysis, you're just parroting marketing claims.

It's also a thicker wire with better shielding, which gets a stronger more reliable signal.View attachment 45324 the wire on the right is broke, so that's why the connection is missing. This is just to show how these wires are thicker and better shielded than stock phantom 3 antennas.
Being thicker means nothing. More obvious shielding means nothing. Unless someone has actually done a decent engineering analysis, you're just parroting marketing claims.
A lot of these conversations have to do with personal experience and/or experience reading other threads/posts from people who have experience.

Of the two cables shown above, the one on the right may appear to be thicker, but it might be just the shielding that makes it appear to be thicker. It may be the same thickness as the cable on the left.

My understanding is, thicker conductive cable is not necessarily a good thing. A cable too thick can dilute the signal.

Shielding is a good thing. I don't know if there is a such thing as "too much shielding" relative to signal loss or signal interference. The GPS mod (re-routing the GPS cable) seems to prove this. But what makes a thicker cable an issue when working in tight quarters is its ability to bend. You do want nice easy sloping bends without risking them getting pinched, and that's more difficult with thick cable. So it's sort of a judgement call, I think, when it comes to cable selection, depending on how you're using it.

I think the fact that both FPVLR and ITELITE sends us cables that look like the ones on the right is a clue that maybe that's the way to go.

MHO.

Reactions: emoney609

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic