Correct way to remove/restore Gimbal Lock and Lens Cover

Reaction score
Maybe I'm being a tad bit overly concerned but... What is the best way to remove and restore the Gimbal Lock and the Lens Cap on the Vision+?

Do you twist on/off the lens cap while holding the camera? This is what I do. However, sometimes, it seems like you can pull/push it straight off/on.

Same with the Gimabl Lock... I try to hold the camera from the back and then slide the Gimbal lock on from right to left or sometimes, I just snap it on from the back of the camera.

Both of these are done with fear of messing up the Gimabal or the camera.

What's your best tested and tried method?

djsydvicious said:
Do you twist on/off the lens cap while holding the camera?
The lens cap does not have threads, so there is no need to twist it. I find it's easier to remove if I twist it a little bit though. When putting it back on, I just push it straight onto the lens.

djsydvicious said:
Same with the Gimabl Lock
The important thing with the lock is to ensure it's inserted fully. Otherwise, it could pop off if your case is bouncing around a lot.

Lens cap always with gimbal lock on.

So Pre flight - cap off, lock off - power up.

Post flight stop record - power off , lock on - cap on.

if the cap is too tight.. take some scissors and make 2mm incisions at the edges. the more you make the looser it becomes.

I have also read on the threads (and a few YouTube videos) that you MUST be extremely careful not to touch the ribbon on the left side (looking at the lens of the camera, or from the front of the unit). Remove and replace the lock from the right. The ribbon is very fragile, and if it is slightly damaged, so goes your camera!

There are 2 guys, OK "Companies" in the States that have manufactured their own ribbons using a thicker gauge ribbon. ($60 - $80 range!). You can see the differences.

Michael

I have also read on the threads (and a few YouTube videos) that you MUST be extremely careful not to touch the ribbon on the left side (looking at the lens of the camera, or from the front of the unit). Remove and replace the lock from the right. The ribbon is very fragile, and if it is slightly damaged, so goes your camera!

There are 2 guys, OK "Companies" in the States that have manufactured their own ribbons using a thicker gauge ribbon. ($60 - $80 range!). You can see the differences.

Michael
Would you possibly give the name or contact info for the upgraded ribbons?
Thx

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20