Correct compass calibration

Reaction score
First off, hello, new to the forum. I looked for this subject but couldn't find what I was looking for. I have seen two different ways to calibrate the compass. One is to spin the phantom in one place on both axis and the other is to hold the phantom at arms length and turn your body all the way around for both axis. Do they both do the same or is one more accurate than the other ? Thanks.

Not a good video. Oh, wait...I didn't get the second set of green flashes I said we should get. We must be OK though. Some videos are just a waste of time.

The other method is on page 15 of the FC40 User Manual version 1.06. There they clearly show the FC40 rotated first around its own center, then vertical axis, both in a counterclockwise direction. I too have wondered if it really doesn't make any difference in the accuracy of the calibration. Anybody know for certain?

Monte55 said:
Not a good video. Oh, wait...I didn't get the second set of green flashes I said we should get. We must be OK though. Some videos are just a waste of time.

That was a fail on my part. I paused the video when I was hooking up the battery so I didn't have to lay the phone down, and simply missed the first time it flashed. I'll make a better video later so I get both flashes. I have a small tripod mount somewhere, but there's no telling where it's at. If I ever find it, I can just set it up facing the light, so I don't miss it next time. :oops:

The video was fine except for that and when you said pull your sticks to the bottom and down. You did say it correct shortly after. Newbs will listen to every word and when we post HOW TO videos, we need to be exact. I wasn't trying to be an ***.

I crashed mine today and since it has been in red/yellow flash mode. I have gonethrough the compass dance several times and it fails each time. I am looking for a magnet to degauss. Is there anything else? It is failing to connect to Naza assist as well.

Don't be so quick to take a magnet to your compass until you have connected it to assistant and see that it is out of spec.

RichardFlying said:
The other method is on page 15 of the FC40 User Manual version 1.06. There they clearly show the FC40 rotated first around its own center, then vertical axis, both in a counterclockwise direction. I too have wondered if it really doesn't make any difference in the accuracy of the calibration. Anybody know for certain?
The direction doesn't matter - just a smooth 360-degree rotation in both axis.

Monte55 said:
Don't be so quick to take a magnet to your compass until you have connected it to assistant and see that it is out of spec.

When I plug it into the USB per usual, the lights stop flashing and it appears to not be connected. What have I done?!

I have it connected now. My compass Mod is about 1200. The pop up says normal is -500~500. I don't even know what that means. When I click Check IMU status, it pops up and tells me no need to calibrate. I don't see anywhere that an error code is listed. Where might I find that if it were?

Monte55 said:
The video was fine except for that and when you said pull your sticks to the bottom and down. You did say it correct shortly after. Newbs will listen to every word and when we post HOW TO videos, we need to be exact. I wasn't trying to be an ***.

Yea, I really need to start planning out how I'm going to do things before trying to make a video. I tend to just grab the camera and go with it, which doesn't really work out that well most of the time. I'd make a horrible news reporter. :lol:

Somehow I got it connected to Naza software, no error codes. Ran the "Basic Call". Powered down for about 30 minutes, started up just fine. Who knows.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic