Copper shielding for GoPro

Reaction score
There has been some discussion on other forums about shielding the GoPro with copper or aluminum foil. This is to prevent conflict with the Phantom's electronics from any electromagnetic emissions from the GoPro -- and at least one YouTube video demonstrates how interference can degrade the GPS lock-on.

I've ordered copper foil to shield my GoPro, just-in-case.

I wonder what others think of this?

Should I use the leftover copper foil to line my baseball cap? :?

Should I use the leftover copper foil to line my baseball cap? :?

Yeah, without a doubt. :lol:

From what I understand, the GoPro does emit quite a bit of RFI noise, so shielding would be advisable especially for
FPV users, where any kind of noise can greatly reduce your range.

Just get 2 of these one for you one for the GoPro :lol:

tinfoil-hat.jpg

But seriously I haven't noticed any interference from my hero3 black, it could have a bit to do with placement of transmitters and antennas or even the frequency you are using.

Are you referring to turning on the wifi on the gopro? I read where it's not recommended during flight.
I had interference with the fpv when turning and heading back because the gopro was in the way of the signal. I bought right angle connectors and it dropped the clover leaf antenna down an inch or so. Made a REAL big difference!

Salesman,

Are you actually using the GoPro WIFI. Let me know how it works. I have the WIFI for my GoPro and would really like to use it. Thanks for any info you might have.

Pat

Hi Pat!
I used the gopro wifi with the smartphone just so I could see to make adjustments to the gopro (much bigger screen on the phone)
There is a serious lag in wifi to the phone and it doesn't send the signal very far. On my gopro you could never use the wifi for fpv imho
There are posts the wifi causes interference when flying

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.