Cool Map: ***Don't Fly Drones Here***

I've seen this one before, haha. I usually check it out before flying around places I haven't been to before.

But as far as I know, 1 mile from airports is the worst place to be because it won't even launch. :lol:

Not accurate.
They show Ellington AFB outside Houston as a no fly.
This isn't correct, it hasn't been an AFB for years. I fly and live near there and have no problems even with the latest software update.

Cool map but I dont think it means much as there is no stair step to the airports. According to the map if I understand correctly you couldn't fly even 100' 5 miles from an airport.

rrmccabe said:
Cool map but I dont think it means much as there is no stair step to the airports. According to the map if I understand correctly you couldn't fly even 100' 5 miles from an airport.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I believe I understand what stair steps mean but I don't want to assume anything. Could you explain? Thanks!

rrmccabe said:

Technically, Class D (small) and Class C (medium) sized airports have a five mile radius from the surface to 4,000 AGL that is controlled airspace, however, I've heard of many people who fly in them and the DJI firmware on the quads allows this mainly at the smaller airports, only restricting flying to within about 2km.

Class B (larger) airports/airspace (say this because usually many smaller airports will lie within a class B airspace. Many of the DJI Category A restricted airports are these. They won't allow flight at all within the 2km red zone, and flight is height restricted from 2km out to 5km in a stairstep fashion (height will increase with distance).

However, not all Class C airspaces get any restrictions from DJI (I live in the Tulsa OK area, home of a Class C airport and a Class D airport within the Class C outer ring - compare to Oklahoma City World Airport, which is yet again a Class C airport but no restrictions exist there for flying).

The map you guys are looking at isn't derived from DJI's restriction; it's based on airspace classification and any temporary or permanent airspace restrictions. And possibly other areas. I haven't had the chance to look completely at it.

OverheadAerial said:
rrmccabe said:

Please excuse my ignorance, but I believe I understand what stair steps mean but I don't want to assume anything. Could you explain? Thanks!

DJI's software will restrict where a vehicle may fly. In category A airports, a 2km inner ring exists where the bird can't be flown period. a ring from 2km to 5km extending out from that gets height restricted...lower the closer to 2km and height restriction is a higher altitude with distance...hence the term 'stairstep'.

As far as the stair step I hear it referred to as upside down wedding cake :)

Anyway, quick google shows this. Did not check it for validity but this will help you get a visual.

Attachments

• airspace.gif
    airspace.gif
    15.7 KB · Views: 799
This video also briefly explains it.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoXAMRQoIAA[/youtube]

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members