Converting RAW photos

Reaction score
I have read that taking photos in RAW setting that you can do more editing etc in this format, so I took a bunch of photos for a friend while on vacation. My problem, I emailed them to him after transferring from my SD card as DNG files. He received them but cannot open them. I cannot find out how to convert DNG files to jpg files. Can anyone help? All I can find is programs like photoshop etc that are expensive.

They are an odd DNG format. I had to download the Adobe DNG converter and pick an old format so my Mac would open them. I think you can convert them to JPG too but you will not get the benefit of the raw files you mentioned.

They are intended to be opened with a quality photo editor. Something like Adobe Lightroom. If you don't have, or plan to use something like this then there really is no need to create the raw files.

Reactions: swoopair
I use Lightroom to edit the raw files. Unless your friend does photography or appreciates having a raw file to edit, send them the jpg.

Not to mention the file size is 6x larger than a standard jpeg. Hope your friend doesn't have a data cap.

Thanks for the info folks. My friend doesn't know what I am talking about. I found an online converter for free, and not being in the photography business I will set my format to jpg and avoid the problem. Also will set video to 1080p instead of 4k as I have similar problems not being abl

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl