Controller S1 faulty.

Reaction score
Winds have died, weather is good, 3 day weekend and my brain is full from all the reading here. While prepping for my first flight I did a 2nd calibration on the controller just to confirm and I notice S1 is flakey. :cry: I am setup in NazaM and when I switch S1 to the middle it confirms GPS to Atti. When I switch it all the way most of the time it stays in Atti. If I wiggle it it goes to Fail-safe sometimes but then just a flicker and its back to Atti. Thought maybe it was the nut restricting the actuator but took it apart, wires good and still fails.

I am thinking this could have been a disaster if I would have switched it to failsafe. My lack of flying confidence makes me confident I would crash in Atti mode especially thinking its going to fly home on its own. DJI is closed now, think they would just send me a switch? It may just be easier to pick up a switch at the electronics shop near me. I am anxious to fly, have a 14SG but wasn't ready to make that step yet. I wanted to try it for awhile stock, no camera or gimbal.

I think I also have a faulty s1.
the position 1 might be broken. If I switch the s1 to position 1, the assistant software does not recognise it as position 1 but it recognise it as position 2. If I push and hold the S1 from position 1 upward, the assistant software recognises it as position one, but when I let go of it, the assistant software recognises it as position 2 instead of position 1. Any suggestions? Thanks

Did you do a calibration on s1 in the System assistant, not Phantom assistant and run the calibration on all sticks and switches including the gimbal pitch on the back.
Now plug it into the Phantom assistant and select basic and watch the the lower graph and see if indeed it is switching properly and ending up in the middle of each box. I bet that will cure it.

Tom

ohyeahnatan said:
the position 1 might be broken. If I switch the s1 to position 1, the assistant software does not recognise it as position 1 but it recognise it as position 2. If I push and hold the S1 from position 1 upward, the assistant software recognises it as position one, but when I let go of it, the assistant software recognises it as position 2 instead of position 1. Any suggestions? Thanks

Mine was the same except position 3 was not being recognized. I verified with RC assistant and Phantom 2 assistant. I also checked with a meter,getting more than a meg ohm of resistant and it fluctuates. I purchased 2, double pole on-off-on switches so now I will have redundant contacts if one side fails. I am replacing both switches.

PhantomPhreak said:
ohyeahnatan said:

Mine was the same except position 3 was not being recognized. I verified with RC assistant and Phantom 2 assistant. I also checked with a meter,getting more than a meg ohm of resistant and it fluctuates. I purchased 2, double pole on-off-on switches so now I will have redundant contacts if one side fails. I am replacing both switches.

That's the way to do it, the original switches are cheap crap and I'm surprised that more haven't failed with all the unnecessary compass calibrating people do. Or maybe there have been more but the phantom just flys away so there is no way of checking the switches without a multi meter?

You can check the switches in the assistant s/w, it works very well.

No need for a multimeter, however every rc flyer should to have a multimeter.

Tom

tom3holer said:

Tom

Checking them with a multi meter will show the signs of impending doom whereas in the assistant they will either work or not work by which time its usually too late :cool:

Fixed mine by replacing the switch.
pu2u5a8a.jpg

Madwak said:
tom3holer said:

Tom

Checking them with a multi meter will show the signs of impending doom whereas in the assistant they will either work or not work by which time its usually too late :cool:

If you check the switch in assistant it indeed will show a intermittent switch as seen on the position pictorial.

Tom

tom3holer said:
Madwak said:
tom3holer said:

Tom

If you check the switch in assistant it indeed will show a intermittent switch as seen on the position pictorial.

Tom

I spend most of my day tracing faulty relays/switches in my job, a multi meter will show you via checking the switch contacts resistance against the other switch positions when it is starting to go bad and will give you an earlier indication of the switch going bad than the assistant - but if you want to rely on the the assistant then feel free, I'm only suggesting that if you suspect the switch may be faulty then a multi meter would be my preferred method of investigation ;)

Madwack,

I agree you are correct it is a better way. I was suggesting the assistant because you don't need a multimeter and if the switch was intermittent or dirty contacts wiggling it from one position to another should show non repeatable positions on the assistant.
But, yes your way is the best if equipment is available.

Tom

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj