Controller Monitor question?

Reaction score
Hi....new to the forum and getting ready to buy a P4P....if you had to purchase what is available right now...which monitor would be better? The P4P with the built-in 5.5 OR a ipad mini2 with a sun shield? I really prefer a larger screen......I know that the 7" Crystal sky is coming Q2, but probably cant wait that long......Also is the Ipad Mini2 more app friendly???? Thanks very much for your feedback!

Reactions: ScrooemPhantom
I'll say that I really like the integrated 5 1/2" screen. It's not huge but it's big enough and it's bright as hell and it's just so nice to not have to fumble around for a cable and a phone or a tablet and a holder and a sunscreen every time I want to launch the drone. That said I was logging into this app this morning to check to see if anybody had any ideas on app installing because with regards to installing additional apps other than what's natively included, I have not yet found a way to do so. I tried to install a document reader to simply read the P4P manual (that I downloaded on the integrated tablet) and it wouldn't let me open it because there's no app with which to view it and it wouldn't let me install Google docs so I don't know. Even still if it's totally locked down, nothing is totally locked down but even if it is I think it's the way to go I love it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: DroneOnNDP
I'll say that I really like the integrated 5 1/2" screen. It's not huge but it's big enough and it's bright as hell and it's just so nice to not have to fumble around for a cable and a phone or a tablet and a holder and a sunscreen every time I want to launch the drone. That said I was logging into this app this morning to check to see if anybody had any ideas on app installing because with regards to installing additional apps other than what's natively included, I have not yet found a way to do so. I tried to install a document reader to simply read the P4P manual (that I downloaded on the integrated tablet) and it wouldn't let me open it because there's no app with which to view it and it wouldn't let me install Google docs so I don't know. Even still if it's totally locked down, nothing is totally locked down but even if it is I think it's the way to go I love it.

Me too

I'm curious about this topic too. I looked at the list of Best Tablets/Phones for DJI GO on the Phantomhelp site and they listed a Galaxy Note Tab 8 but when I looked into buying one, I asked the guy selling it to see if he could confirm the DJI GO 4 app would download and it would not. Having a 4 Pro requires the DJI GO 4 app, correct? I believe that's the case.

Also, does anyone have information on getting an iPad mini 2 wifi vs. one with cellular too? I've seen information that indicates the tablet needs GPS installed and the way to confirm that on Apple devices is by getting one with cellular. Does anyone have good experience with a wifi only Mini 2?

Having a 4 Pro requires the DJI GO 4 app, correct? I believe that's the case.
Yes, you need the DJI GO 4 app --- the DJI GO app doesn't work with the P4P.

I've seen information that indicates the tablet needs GPS installed and the way to confirm that on Apple devices is by getting one with cellular. Does anyone have good experience with a wifi only Mini 2?
I'm pretty certain you don't need a tablet with a GPS receiver and you definitely don't _need_ cellular because the P4P+ isn't cellular. Wifi only iPad Mini works fine and I've used a wifi only iPad mini on the P4P controller without issue. If you do need cellular service just tether it to your phone and you've got connectivity out in the field.

....if you had to purchase what is available right now...which monitor would be better? The P4P with the built-in 5.5 OR a ipad mini2 with a sun shield?
If I were to do it all over again I would SKIP the P4P+ and just have gone with the P4P and an iPad. I bought into the hype of "brighter screen, no wires" and in the end have a very buggy unit that I will not use until the bugs get worked out. So my P4P+ controller is sitting on a shelf while I am happily using the P4P controller with an iPhone. Yes, I shelled out another $319 for a controller that works ALL the time. I am getting an iPad Mini 4 next week because I want a larger screen (and don't be sucked into the hype --- the 5.5inch P4P+ screen isn't all that large to being with) which I know will work well based on using my wife's iPad mini with the monitor hood.

I've tried returning the P4P+ controller for a refund but DJI wanted the entire order (drone, extra batteries, props, etc.) returned. Get the P4P controller and skip the "plus" for now. Trust me, you will be so much happier if you want to be flying right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chesapeake
I'm pretty certain you don't need a tablet with a GPS receiver and you definitely don't _need_ cellular because the P4P+ isn't cellular. Wifi only iPad Mini works fine and I've used a wifi only iPad mini on the P4P controller without issue. If you do need cellular service just tether it to your phone and you've got connectivity out in the field.

Thanks for the info. I was under the impression that an Apple device with cellular was less about continuous connectivity and more about ensuring the device had GPS capability.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Thanks for the info. I was under the impression that an Apple device with cellular was less about continuous connectivity and more about ensuring the device had GPS capability.

I guess I misunderstood your original question. You are correct that the cellular models have GPS whereas the wifi only models do not. More on the topic can be found here: Does the iPad have a "real GPS" in it? - iPad Pilot News

Thanks for the info and link. I guess for me the bottom line is that a wifi only iPad mini will do the job just fine possibly with the exception of follow me and tracking features.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

If I were to do it all over again I would SKIP the P4P+ and just have gone with the P4P and an iPad. I bought into the hype of "brighter screen, no wires" and in the end have a very buggy unit that I will not use until the bugs get worked out. So my P4P+ controller is sitting on a shelf while I am happily using the P4P controller with an iPhone. Yes, I shelled out another $319 for a controller that works ALL the time. I am getting an iPad Mini 4 next week because I want a larger screen (and don't be sucked into the hype --- the 5.5inch P4P+ screen isn't all that large to being with) which I know will work well based on using my wife's iPad mini with the monitor hood.

I've tried returning the P4P+ controller for a refund but DJI wanted the entire order (drone, extra batteries, props, etc.) returned. Get the P4P controller and skip the "plus" for now. Trust me, you will be so much happier if you want to be flying right now.
I agree with you...I did a lot of research before deciding to purchase the P4P and the iPad 4 mini. I received them both yesterday. Unfortunately I cannot get them to connect, I have a post out here where I can hopefully get some help! :)

I agree with you...I did a lot of research before deciding to purchase the P4P and the iPad 4 mini. I received them both yesterday. Unfortunately I cannot get them to connect, I have a post out here where I can hopefully get some help! :)

The charging cable will not work on mine for p4p

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4