Controller cracks

Reaction score
I've noticed small cracks on on the glossy plastic, both sides, near the rubber grip. They expand slowly.

I've never dropped the controller, have been very gentle with it, using it with neck strap and storing it in the Thinktank Airport Helipak. I am at around 50 flights.

Anyone with same issue?

pics please..
What part of the world and how hot is it?

pics please..
What part of the world and how hot is it?

Poland, May and June at 15-20°C and July at 25-35°C.

1_zpshvwr5wwi.jpg

1%201_zpsixjzmvoo.jpg

Can't imagine how an RC radio would expand from heat like that...
PERHAPS if left in a sweltering car, with your windows rolled up.

None on my Tx radio or Phantom 3 Pro' quad copter so far.

& very Thankfully so...

RedHotPoker

The controller has not been exposed to heat, I've been babysitting it. I think it is a manufacturing defect, cracks that I simply did not notice out of the box, slowly expanding from normal use. Strange that no one else has reported these issues yet, though.

The controller does get a little hot while charging. Are these cracks only on the right side?

I've noticed small cracks on on the glossy plastic, both sides, near the rubber grip. They expand slowly.

I've never dropped the controller, have been very gentle with it, using it with neck strap and storing it in the Thinktank Airport Helipak. I am at around 50 flights.

Anyone with same issue?

Hi I haven't had this problem. But when my wife was doing day care we had a proble with the paint around the door nob getting soft and wrickling. I found out that my wife was putting sun screen on the little ones and they were putting ther hands around the door nob and the sun screen was softening the paint. Do you put any thing on you body like bug juce or any thing that could attact the plastic? Hope this helps

No, nothing. I guess I'll contact DJI and send it for repair or replacement, but since I've heard that turnaround times are quite long, I'll wait with that until winter.

Hi Guys,
(UK-based).......in support of DJI Europe (and no, I don't work for them!)
I'm new to the DJI experience (P3P) and haven't had any problems with cracking of the shell but have had a breakage of the antenna mounting on the RC after just 7-8 outings; I bought the P3P three months ago.
I treat the kit with kid gloves and was disappointed with the antenna breakage and contacted the retailer London Camera Exchange (LCE) in Winchester, where I bought the outfit. I took it back and they dealt with this as a warranty return. I'd considered an upgrade antenna instead of getting it repaired (risk of invalidating the warranty) - but am still learning, so considered that now's not the time.
I understand that until recently the DJI support in Europe was considered poor and I was told (by LCE and on these forums) to expect a 6/7-week turn round. I'd sent LCE an e-mail which explained the fault (with photos) with a polite expectation that they would sort this out quickly, they forwarded this to DJI immediately - and an RMA return instruction was issued the same day. I delivered the RC to LCE the following day and 7 days later I've received a new (replacement) RC controller from DJI Europe.
This is the service customers expect and I would like to applaud both LCE and DJI Europe for sorting this out so quickly - a BIG thank-you guys.
I understand that the previous bad service was due to the arrangements DJI had in Germany?? They now work out of Belgium/Holland? and the change hopefully marks the start of improvements in customer support.

Reactions: bobmyers
I've just noticed exactly the same issues with my controller, 3 cracks in the identical spot to yours on both sides. Unit is kept in a hard shell from new only 20-30 flights so far. This is a manufacturers issue. Did you come right with them?

I've just noticed exactly the same issues with my controller, 3 cracks in the identical spot to yours on both sides. Unit is kept in a hard shell from new only 20-30 flights so far. This is a manufacturers issue. Did you come right with them?

I also have the same crack. and also stores the controller in the DJI Hard Case. My theory is that the hard case has a to tight fit where the controller is kept, and over time makes this stress cracks. It is also a weak spot of the controller. I will properly fill a complain, but I'm not interested in loosing my controller for weeks so I will wait :/

Actually, I did not send it for repair or replacement within the 12 month warranty period for the controller. The cracks have expanded over time, but do not impair the functionality and do not expand anymore, so I just learned to live with it. Instead, I recently sent the quad for repair due to stress cracks of the shell around the screws on the rear arms, as I was afraid it would drop out of the sky one day. DJI replaced the shell under warranty.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic