Controller battery life (not yet) quantified

Reaction score
Last night I got the audible warning that the batteries in the controller needed replacing. As I have been keeping a flying log I can confirm that I got 140 minutes of flight time from a set of Duracell plus. The alarm was triggered on a voltage of 1.4

Edit: 1.4v per cell !

Re: Controller battery life quantified

I have been wondering how long a set of such batteries would last so I reckon I have just one or two flights left in my first set of these batteries. Useful post thanks.

pault said:
Last night I got the audible warning that the batteries in the controller needed replacing. As I have been keeping a flying log I can confirm that I got 140 minutes of flight time from a set of Duracell plus. The alarm was triggered on a voltage of 1.4

Funny... I was wondering about that just last night. Thanks...

-slinger

1.4 per cell? Something doesn't sound right . 1.5 is full charge. They usually work down to about 1.0. Are you sure you didn't have a loose battery contact on one of the batteries? 140 minutes is only about 7 flights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Old Gazer said:
1.4 per cell? Something doesn't sound right . 1.5 is full charge. They usually work down to about 1.0. Are you sure you didn't have a loose battery contact on one of the batteries? 140 minutes is only about 7 flights.

Umm, I assumed it was low battery alarm - the controller emitted a series of buzzes. In my case the 140 minutes represented 9 flights.
I agree, it appears something weird is going is going on. I only checked one battery as I assumed they would be wired in series but I have now checked all the batteries again and they have 'bounced' back to 1.4v so the alarm must have been something else. At the time it went off I had the controller, range extender and the PV2 powered up on the kitchen table as I was transferring pictures from the SD card to my phone. Maybe it was warning me not to takeoff in the kitchen :)

I have replaced the batteries and just come home from a successful flight without further alarms.

Edit: Maybe other conditions can trigger an alarm. At the time, as I said, I was transferring video and one of the files was large so took >5 mins so perhaps it was an inactivity alarm as I had not touched the controller - it would make sense to have an alarm to warn you if you accidentally turned on the controller.

In the meantime, I have edited the title of this thread.

Ha ha, don,t fly in the kitchen.
I was thinking the green light on the TX is supposed to turn yellow or red when the batteries get low, I may be wrong.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Old Gazer said:
I was thinking the green light on the TX is supposed to turn yellow or red when the batteries get low, I may be wrong.
Yes, maybe. See my edited post above. I now think it was probably inactivity.

pault said:
Old Gazer said:
Yes, maybe. See my edited post above. I now think it was probably inactivity.

It surprised me the other day by beeping away while I was messing about with something else. I did the CSC on and off again and it kept quiet again. Checked batteries and they were all fine so definitely down to an inactivity warning.

Attachments

• 2014-01-16_145229.jpg
    2014-01-16_145229.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,070
pault said:
DJI might get a lot of flak for their customer care but I have to say that they have put a lot of thought into the PV2.

Yes they have. It seems to have warnings for just about everything.

"Old Gazer"]1.4 per cell? Something doesn't sound right . 1.5 is full charge. They usually work down to about 1.0. Are you sure you didn't have a loose battery contact on one of the batteries? 140 minutes is only about 7 flights.

I agree with Old Gazer! I am troubleshooting an error with the 'radar function' not giving correct 'current heading' information and one of my steps is checking the RC battery voltage. I have been getting intermittent battery warning beeps from my RC, but no red flashing LED on the RC. Open circuit AA fresh battery voltage is 1.600 vdc +/- and my RC batteries open circuit voltage measured 1.338 vdc (x4 = 5.35 vdc), which should NOT have generated the battery warning beeps. According to the P2V manual, battery warning is issued at 4.0-4.3 vdc, or 1.00 to 1.08 vdc per cell.

1.4vdc per cell would be 5.6 vdc total and according to the manual, we should not be getting the battery warning signal!

I presently have 27 flights on my RC batteries, or about 540 minutes.

ChesterT

Wow, 27 flights and the batteries are just at 1.338. You should be able to double the number of flights before changing batteries. That's good to know information. I have been using two sets of Duracell rechargeables and switching out every 6 or 7 flights.

pault said:

That doesn't sound right to me "1.4v per cell". Regular AA batteries start at 1.5v and rechargable AA at 1.2v. I've logged over half a dozen flights which comes to 120 minutes on a set of my eneloop AA 2500mah rechargables with out getting anywhere near low power levels.

I read your next post where you said you had your controller unattended while transferring files. I can confirm 100% the beeps you heard where an INACTIVITY Warning, not low power. Simply cycle the power on the controller when that happens.

In fact you don't need to have your controller on at all other than the wifi repeater when doing things like file transfers from your camera, (assuming your phantom is on the ground)

BenDronePilot said:
In fact you don't need to have your controller on at all other than the wifi repeater when doing things like file transfers from your camera, (assuming your phantom is on the ground)

+ with the propellers OFF.

LeoS said:
BenDronePilot said:

+ with the propellers OFF.

Ummm Honey? What's that hole in the ceiling??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj