controller and drone does not start after storage for a year

Reaction score
ok I let my p3p sit in heated storage for year, Dry, in a case. I finally get it out charge the batteries, which give the four lights when the button is pressed and nothing, neither the controller of drone will start. It wasn't very old when I put it in storage, maybe 50 flights with three separate batteries that I tried to rotate. So what gives ? Not enough voltage ? I hate to spend more money on batteries just to try with out a pretty good idea that is what the problem is.

When you press battery button TWICE ... does it switch on and lights stay on ?

If not then after so long it's probably in Hibernation mode.

If you touch Battery button - you MUST LEAVE for at least 5 minutes before plugging into charger ... DO NOT TOUCH any button after that 5 minutes or you will need wait 5 mins again.

Leave on the charger and after a bit - the battery will wake up and start charging ... hopefully. Leave it alone ... let it sort itself ...

Do you not have a pal or someone near that can lend you a battery to test AC ?

Hows the Controller ? Has that charged up OK ?

I year is a long time to leave controller battery ... especially that we usually leave them charged higher than storage !!

Nigel

What percentage did you keep the batteries stored at? Or did you just let them go completely flat? If this is the case, they might be toast.

They don't actually go completely flat ... they slowly discharge down to low level and then enter Hibernation Mode ...

Nigel

That's just the protection circuitry. After that they most certainly can internally self discharge to nill.

It's just chemistry after all.

But at a drastically reduced rate ... so low in fact that 1 year should not be a problem.

Of course it never stops totally ... sorry for not being clearer on that ...

I have LiPo's of over 2 years not used ... left at 30% storage .... still showing well over 25% and fine ...

neither the controller or drone will start.
Please forgive the very basic question, but are you doing the double press to turn on the batteries and the RC as Nigel noted? I only ask because you said that neither will turn on, and we have seen a few people here post that their RC and batteries didn't turn on only to realize that they had forgotten that a double press of the button was required. I'm hoping it's that simple for you as well.

Last edited:
Ok I officially have to declare myself a idiot, I did do a double tap but more like clicking a mouse (cuz that is what I do) it was the double press that was the issue. Now to get the camera working agin.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub