Controlled Airspace Outside of Part 107

Reaction score
I'm new to the UAV industry, so go easy on me... I was just watching a video from a FAA Inspector that stated if you hold a Part 107 certificate, you can go out on the weekend and fly under the intention that you are not operating under Part 107... My question then is, if I am within the 5 mile radius of controlled airspace, how does that change my request to fly within that area? I understand there is an online waiver if I'm flying under Part 107, but what if I'm just out flying because I enjoy it and want to fly for fun?

Thanks!

Doug

Check it out, this has been discussed extensively in previous threads. Under hobby rules, you can fly. The only requirement is that if you will be within 5 miles of the airport, you have to notify them as any other hobby flier would. You need to be careful though. You have to make the decision that it will be hobby before takeoff. All aspects of the flight have to conform to 'hobby flying' , any deviations and you are automatically back under Part 107. Which could be a problem if you are in comtrolled airspace. Also, you probably shouldn't consider ever selling any footage that you might take during the flight. Hobby footage could be sold after the fact, but if you have a Part 107 certificate, the FAA might be suspicious. I clearly mark in my log book whenever I fly hobby and identify all imagery appropriately.

Check it out, this has been discussed extensively in previous threads. Under hobby rules, you can fly. The only requirement is that if you will be within 5 miles of the airport, you have to notify them as any other hobby flier would. You need to be careful though. You have to make the decision that it will be hobby before takeoff. All aspects of the flight have to conform to 'hobby flying' , any deviations and you are automatically back under Part 107. Which could be a problem if you are in comtrolled airspace. Also, you probably shouldn't consider ever selling any footage that you might take during the flight. Hobby footage could be sold after the fact, but if you have a Part 107 certificate, the FAA might be suspicious. I clearly mark in my log book whenever I fly hobby and identify all imagery appropriately.

Thank you

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr