Control Signal Always drops first??

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was doing some RTH & range tests tonight on a stock Phantom - No mods at all. I was a bit surprised when every time it was the control signal that dropped out first.

First test i did was an Altitude test - For this I had the RC antenna pointing directly out from the controller (As the phantom was directly above me) i lost control signal at approx 250m
I attempted this again around 100 meters away from me to see if there was any difference and no, similar result.

For the range test I had the RC antenna at 90 degrees (Pointing up in regard to the flat face and sticks of the controller) i took her up to 50 meters and went over flat land as far as I could this time the control signal dropped at approx 640 meters still had WIFI and video feed throughout

I was very concious of keeping pointed towards the bird throughout.

Now my question is - I would have expected the WIFI signal and video feed to drop out well before the control signal as I was sure this was the limiting factor on stock phantoms? Am i wrong?

Any advice or input greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I normally use control before FPV, but at much greater ranges than you are getting. Only rarely do I lose FPV first but, with no FPV, you coming home because you can no longer see what you are doing. What sort of environment are you flying in?

Its a really really clean environment as far as electrical noise - Im up in the very far north of Scotland out in the sticks... Not a tower or mast in sight and like 4 other houses that could have WIFI.

Thats why i dont understand why its so low.

locini said:
Its a really really clean environment as far as electrical noise - Im up in the very far north of Scotland out in the sticks... Not a tower or mast in sight and like 4 other houses that could have WIFI.

Thats why i dont understand why its so low.

Did you switch your controller to FCC mode?

OMG - Ahh that actually could be it - No i stuck with the regulatory one for the UK - not sure the name of it again... You may have just helped massively...

I remember debating which one to use at the time and went for the one for EU/UK as I didn't want to break any rules. Will have to investigate further...

Thanks a lot

Yea that will be it - I remember seeing it in the Assistant and sticking to the EU one

Guess what's getting changed first thing in the morning...

Thanks for your help Dirty Bird - I had totally forgotten about it.

I'm in FCC mode and have had the similar problems that you helped me with Bird. Had a LOS at 640 ft high today with WiFi booster pointed at aircraft and antenna straight up. Didn't last long enough to go into "Coming Home" though and kept control. I'm still perplexed by what is going on. I imagine I need to work on antenna/WiFi booster position some more. Perhaps leave the WiFi booster tight but loose enough to adjust during flight?

Regards,
J.

JWarren said:
I'm still perplexed by what is going on. I imagine I need to work on antenna/WiFi booster position some more. Perhaps leave the WiFi booster tight but loose enough to adjust during flight?

I just have my extender snug. I adjust it often during flight depending on altitude.

OF course I did make it to 1000 ft that one time before losing signal, so I know its no real problem. Just pilot error I imagine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers