Control not centered, no dead stick hover.

Reaction score
I am new and have read a lot, just got mine on May 7th, and have already had some learned lessons (aka mistakes)

However, I have a persistent pain, When I take off, it always pitches backward with the stick at center.

I have tried the wiki self calibration of the controller and it never completes. Then I do the software calibration while the copter is connected to the computer and the screen is fine, and it still pitches instead of straight up at take off.

Of course in GPS mode, Jump up, hover, and then go, GPS takes over, but still needs corrections to hold a real steady flight, letting go of the controls might let it wander. Mostly it goes aft like it wants to at take off, but sometimes it will wander left also or both at the same time, coming close to run away without stick input.

In any IOC mode, it wanders way to much, take off requires pitch always.

How can I get this into calibration?

Go to assistant software -> basic -> calibrate sticks (left side of page) Click start box lower right below "command sticks calibration" then SLOWLY move your sticks to all the CORNERS of controller. Do this for a minute or two then click finish.

In the NAZA-M V2 software, I have done that, and did it SLOWLY as you suggested, will try it out tomorrow.

If you cant get it to calibrate in the naza YOU may have to do a full calibration using the rc assistant instead. That requires you take out the screws on the back of the transitter and open it up so you can hook the usb cable in the the board inside the transmitter. Then Run the calibration in the rc assistant.

If that dont help you may have real lose spring adjustments in your sticks and they could be real lose and sloppy and not going all the way to center on one of your sticks. As they come out of the box they are way to lose for good control. If you need any help with that let me know there is a good vid some one made on utube that shows how to adjust the stick spring tension.

MUCH BETTER NOW! Thank you all for the suggestions. Not calibrating in self mode and never showing a difference with NAZA-M software, any tests in the garage in dead air always needed correction to get a straight lift off, but limited to height is a factor. This was just up throttle slowly till I had lift off to see how much correction was needed. The weather has been either rain or very windy lately.

So I took J.James suggestion and used the RC assistant. Physically the sticks center well and with movement then let go showed they constantly center to the same values, A+74, E+1, T-131, R+39 all readings +/- 3. Getting it open and the antenna back in place while closing it up was a challenge for my old arthritic hands.

Today was less wind and once at least 9+ft in the air, Dead stick it would sit within 6ft. Take off drift was only downwind. At 100+ ft up it would move only with wind gusts and get stable and sit. That was wonderful and helped me to relax and be more stable on the controls. All in a 10-15 knot wind that I would not attempt before.

I finally feel I have control. I crash landed in 2 of my first 4 flights hurting my confidence. Today I took off, flew for about 5min each time, very stable, much better control, and landed upright and on its feet all 4 times today. A very enjoyable and more relaxing experience. I even played with the phone app for the camera today, as I could finally let go of the sticks.

ah that great to hear its flying much better.

If your hands are arthritic tightening up the tension on the each of the sticks a tiny bit may also help you have more steady control esp if you make one direction tighter and the other loser. On mine I made it so up and down on both sticks is just slightly tighten up and then tightened up the side to side almost stiff as it would let me make it.

When ever I would try to raise or lower altitude. when pushing up on the left stick it was real difficult to do it with out the stick some times also going a tiny bit side to side and that would cause it to yaw and spin in circles. and on the right stick when trying to fly perfectly in a straight line the stick was also hard to keep centered with out going left of right and had to constantly correct my direction when trying to fly a straight line. now that i have them both so it takes more deliberate pressure side ways its much easier to not get that tiny bit of side to side movement of the sticks when I dont want it to go to the side at all.

If you want to do that you will probably like it even more and have way nice control not that its also calibrated and centered all right tho it does require opening up the case of the tx again and dealing with the antenna again. and yes that thing is a pain in the butt even with not so arthritic hands. But here is a utube vid on how the stick tension thing-a-ma-giggys work and how to a just them. Incase you or others want to fine tune the sticks sensitivity. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjV-1fRBNQk

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik