Continuous RC upgrades

Reaction score
This is my first post on this forum, so apologies if I don't get it right.I've a Phantom 3 Advanced, which has been going well. But, of late the thing, when set up has been giving reminders of requiring firmware updates. Howevr, when I check the installed updates they all appear to be up to date. Today when I took it out, all seemed well except that the map was blank. I abandoned the outing and took it home, where I expected the map to update/install, when in range of the Wi-Fi.. It didn't, but the firmware updating option did come up. I left it at that to go through the firmware updates. Three of them. At the fourth update (RC), it seemed odd for three updates called and four carried out. So, I took more notice, during the fourth., and noticed that the on-screen information was that the installed firmware was vers 1.60.0, and that the downloading version was also 1.60.0. When finished there was a call to re-boot the controller, which I did. When the controller came back up the first thing apparent was that a firmware update was required. From then, every re-boot, or start-up came with this reminder, and every update was followed by an insistence for an update. Trying to override this, and going to start the motors, resulted in a pop=up to advise of a firmware mismatch, OR a "Signal Lost" banner, and no motor start. I'm a bit lost at all this apparent illogical behaviour. The only thought, so far, is to return all to factory settings and update from there. If, that is, I can find a way to return the thing to the factory settings.

As far as I'm aware, the p3 is already at 1.8.80. As of a download from DJI on 22/4/16. However, on downloading the version from the DJI download site for the P3 Advanced, I note that the version number of the zip file is P3S_FW_V01.08.0080.zip, whereas the earlier version was P3X_FW_V01.08-0080.zip, and the file size slightly greater than the later file. I'm fairly sure that the earlier file came from the P3 Advanced download page, and am totally sure that the latest one did come from the P3 Advanced download page. I find it a bit odd in the naming of the files An X I can understand , since I'd little experience in the DJI file naming protocol, but the S version is a bit odd, since I can now appreciate that the three models Standard (S), Advanced (A), and Professional (P), seem to apply. So which is the correct file?. I also get a different set of messages on the monitor, depending on whether I boot-up the controller first, or whether I boot up the Phantom first. I'll run through both options and make some notes. neither option works, BTW.

So which is the correct file?
The P3S file (this one) is for the Phantom 3 Advanced. The P3X file is for the Phantom 3 Professional. The naming is surely confusing, but that's how it has always been.

Well, an update in the old way, of writing the update file to the camera's SD card seems to have done the trick. No more requests to update the RC. There was a minor problem with RC signal strength, but that too, seems to be resolved. I'm still not sure why it all went so wrong in an entirely DJI led multiple update. I'll take it out for a short flight, tomorrow, if the forecast rain holds off. If that goes well, I'll close the thread. Thanks for the excellent advice, and the prompt response.
Cheers, Rod Goslin

Well, I finally had a window in the weather to take it out. The flight was successful, if short, but I'm still having problems with the machine calling for an RC update. I have done so, and it replaces the firmware 1.6.60 with 1.6.60. It even appears on the screen (current firmware) and (Install firmware.)It completes normally, and indicates a re-boot. On completion of the reboot, the call for an RC update is back. So far, I think it's gone through six updates, downloaded, updated and re-booted. The problem remaining. I note that there is a (complicated) way of resetting the RC to factory settings. Is it worth doing this and starting afresh?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20