Constantly Tilting Down Camera

Reaction score
I start the flight with the camera level. However, I noticed that the camera tilts down without my input (I start with camera level) as I am flying and I have to continuously adjust the tilt up. What causes this and is there a way to default the adjustment to level (horizontal) position? Thanks.

I also noticed that when I adjust the tilt in flight upwards, and check a couple of minutes later, it has gone down showing 3/4 trim instead of full up. That requires that I constantly adjust trim upwards to keep the camera level with the flight path.

Is this normal?: When I tilt the Vision down (to descend), the camera tilts down. When I move the Vision nose up to go up, the camera tilts upward, instead of trying to go down to keep the position. Almost seems like something is reversed.

However, the sliders work in the correct direction (I think). Up slider moves the camera upwards and vice versa.

rmklaw said:
I also noticed that when I adjust the tilt in flight upwards, and check a couple of minutes later, it has gone down showing 3/4 trim instead of full up. That requires that I constantly adjust trim upwards to keep the camera level with the flight path.

Is this normal?: When I tilt the Vision down (to descend), the camera tilts down. When I move the Vision nose up to go up, the camera tilts upward, instead of trying to go down to keep the position. Almost seems like something is reversed.

However, the sliders work in the correct direction (I think). Up slider moves the camera upwards and vice versa.

Out of the box you can't make the camera truly level with out adjusting the minimum and maximum tilt angle setting for the gimbal in the assistant software. You can watch my video for a fix.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=g5TcGt4Nsp4

Thank you BenDronePilot. I watched your video and you make good points. My problem, however, seems to be a little different than what you address. I do get full range of motion and are able to level the camera. However, after I level the camera, it does not stay there during the flight. It tends to tilt down with the slider pointer moving towards the middle of the range.

I don't know if there is something in the software that forces the camera to move towards the "neutral" setting instead of staying at the extreme point to be level. Any thoughts?

The dealer where I bought my Vision always tests, before sending it of to the customer.

Apparently did my camera not move at all on the one that I ordered.

The problem was that the cog-wheel in the servo was slipping over the drive shaft.
Maybe you have something similar?

In my case that is not the issue. When the camera drifts down, so does the slider. Seems like the camera wants to return to center position or possibly the start-up position. Another forum suggested that the fix is to change the value of the center position from 0 to -150. Have not tried it yet.

Richard
That's exactly what I did. In the software, I adjusted the max / min values, as well as the center point. I set mine to -500. Now, at power-up and during flight, the camera tends to drift to the new center value. I assume, as it's trying to compensate for the pitching of the Phantom, it eventually returns to center. It worked for me?

Thanks. I just tried it on the bench. Just adjusting the center point without touching the limits, it seems that you can bring it to a more upright position.

What puzzles me is why, on the bench, if I tilt the Vision up (climbing) the camera also tilts up by itself, and vice versa. You would expect that if the Vision tilts up, the camera would go down to remain stationary on the filming point. Have you tried that?

I agree. It almost seems like the servo wires are reversed somehow? I'll test mine out tonight, but I imagine that it works opposite of what you describe. I'll let you know.

I did some testing. When the camera is pointed all the way up or all the way down when it is flying if the F2V tilts in the direction too much it seem like the tilt is then put about a quarter of the way down. For example if the camera is pointed all the way, at the top of the servo limit, when you fly forward the F2V tilts the front two props down to go forward. This turns the F2V nose down and the servo on the camera gimbal can't overcome the difference because it is already at its limit. It then seems like it defaults about a quarter of the way down.

I tried changing the Pitch & Gain on the Gimbal settings but it didn't help. I think once you have the camera servo at it's high or low limit it will keep moving. You can trying changing the MAX & MIN values in the Gimbal Settings in DJI Phantom 2 Vision Assistant and then try not to keep it at it's servo limits to see if that helps.

I'm Using these settings
Servo Travel Limit
MAX= 600
Center= -600
MIN= -800

Gain
Pitch= 40.00

Thanks. I will try your settings. I just flew it and it reacts different in the air. I will be checking the video later.

Richard
I was able to do a bench test of the gimbal tonight. I found that if I pitch the aircraft nose up, the camera tilts down, trying to maintain a level shot. When I pitch the aircraft nose down, the camera tilts up. I also verified this by watching some video that I had previously recorded. Sounds like yours is definitely backwards! Good luck!

rmklaw said:
Thank you BenDronePilot. I watched your video and you make good points. My problem, however, seems to be a little different than what you address. I do get full range of motion and are able to level the camera. However, after I level the camera, it does not stay there during the flight. It tends to tilt down with the slider pointer moving towards the middle of the range.

I don't know if there is something in the software that forces the camera to move towards the "neutral" setting instead of staying at the extreme point to be level. Any thoughts?

Changing the Center position from 0 to -825 may do it for you. That way the cameras "startup" position when you turn the phantom on is roughly level using that value. And if what's happening is the camera defaulting to center randomly, at least center will be level. You can try that.

Thank you HollyFlyer and BenDronePilot. I guess, before changing settings, I am going to have to check if the gimbal servo wiring is backwards. Anyone knows how to access the connector from gimbal to servo to check if it is installed backwards?

rmklaw said:
Thank you HollyFlyer and BenDronePilot. I guess, before changing settings, I am going to have to check if the gimbal servo wiring is backwards. Anyone knows how to access the connector from gimbal to servo to check if it is installed backwards?

fyi i wrote for the center value 825 i forgot to have the - in front of it. I corrected that but just letting you know :) And to change the server connection you would have to take the top of your Phantom off, find the wire that goes to the Gimbal and try reversing the connection. That's most likely how it would be done but I've not had it apart myself. There are videos from other people who have had the Vision in pieces to change things including the gimbal.

See my posting of today. DJI and the dealers have the software to fix this problem, if it happens to you.

Exactly same problem here :x
In my opinion and I guess the whole idea is or should be, that you choose the level, and then it should just stay there even if you are going up or down, it should not change the angel at all :!:
As it is now it's useless

rmklaw said:
Thanks. I just tried it on the bench. Just adjusting the center point without touching the limits, it seems that you can bring it to a more upright position.

What puzzles me is why, on the bench, if I tilt the Vision up (climbing) the camera also tilts up by itself, and vice versa. You would expect that if the Vision tilts up, the camera would go down to remain stationary on the filming point. Have you tried that?

I don't know if I can explain this so you guys understand what I'm trying to say, English is not my first language but I try anyway.

That Center value don't do a thing :!: Only when yo set the new value it look like it adjust the center point of the camera, but after that try to tilt the Vision up and down, then it don't go back to that value. It goes down pointing lower than the center you just have set. It seems like it is adjusting the center point relative to the scale on the mobile instead. Try to after you have tilted up and down, tap on the scale on the mobile, just once and you can see it have moved down on the scale, and then you can move it up again to the center, which is not always the same. For me it looks like the gimbal or camera have it's own idea of what is the center point.
I total agree in what you are saying, that you would expect that it would remain stationery on the filming point, which would be ideal. Either that or nothing, I mean so it just stay in that position you have chosen. It very annoying like it is now and actually useless.
I don't know if it all makes sense what I'm trying to say?

BenDronePilot said:
rmklaw said:

Out of the box you can't make the camera truly level with out adjusting the minimum and maximum tilt angle setting for the gimbal in the assistant software. You can watch my video for a fix.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=g5TcGt4Nsp4

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You for that video. The camera seems to even be quieter now...... :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20