Constant updates

Reaction score
Anybody sick of the constant firmware updates? I work away a lot and it seems when I get home the thing needs updates. I can never figure out if I update the latest will it cover all previous updates or if they have to be done individually. Not sure if every little fix have to be addressed even if I don't have the problem it addresses?

You are not required to install new firmware updates. It's purely optional. If you choose to do so though (I recommend it), then follow these instructions for a hassle-free installation.

Reactions: MarcG
Personally I don't take all those updates too seriously. Unless it mentions something really worth updating. Then I update it quickly but other than that it's when I have the time or feel like it. At this point updates won't affect any behaviour to the aircraft. You just have to make sure that whenever you update, you do it properly.

I hate updating and I tend not to do it for a while and I may be a firmware behind. However, eventually you have to get up to date anyway. Especially when there is a firmware update that does something major. Usually if you are a few behind, you are required to be at a certain update to begin with. So I guess we must conform. Same with Apple and even microsoft with all their updates. Wait until you can't pull your car out of the driveway until all updates are complete.

If you have 1.3.2 installed, you can install just the most recent update. If you're running firmware older than 1.3.2, then you must first install 1.3.2 before installing the latest firmware.

I know all updates are not relevant but many a times bug fixes are not listed in the update description. That's the reason, I go for all updates.

Updates take a half hour. Minimal time investment. If you're fully updated and something goes wrong with an apparent fix, then you have a leg to stand on with DJI

Reactions: willbaroo
My concern is that at one point the DJI Go app will update beyond being compatible with an older firmware.

Anybody sick of the constant firmware updates? I work away a lot and it seems when I get home the thing needs updates. I can never figure out if I update the latest will it cover all previous updates or if they have to be done individually. Not sure if every little fix have to be addressed even if I don't have the problem it addresses?

Yes, i'm sick of these frequent updates too. This latest 1.6 one i have not bothered with. Partly because I am worried about the possible range reduction that some have spoken of, and partly because I cant really be arsed doing it! In fact, to update FW i actually take it back to Maplin store where I purchased it everytime as I dont own a PC or even a laptop anymore in order to run these **** things.
As long as it keeps flying as it should, I dont think I will bother.
As for new features being added, I did the update that introduced the Waypoints, Course Lock, Home Lock, Point of Interest.
The only one i very occasionally use is the Point of Interest one. I tried them all out at first, and have never used them since. For me they are fairly useless imo
So, unless an update comes that stops u from flying if u dont install it i dont think i will bother with them

I agree. A lot of updates are for reasons outside of actual fixes. Limiting the range is shocking if that is intended. It seems some updates now are to fix unintended consequences of previous updates. I think I'm done as well with updates unless it won't fly without it. I don't use waypoints or POI either and the 2.7k camera upgrade did nothing for me. Mine flies well and I'm happy with the quality of the unit so what more could I ask for.

The one thing I would upgrade for is better usability for FPV glasses for the P3A. My tablet is all but useless on a sunny day even with the sun shade device. BIG disappointment!

I don't mind the updates per se, but I wish DJI actually disclosed WTF they are doing with each update.

One time, I install all this stuff and all my camera settings (expo/etc) just magically disappeared and I found out as I was trying to shoot something. Features appear, option disappear, user interface and menus get shuffled around. Pretty much nothing is mentioned in the release notes and I'm stuck "testing" my quad to see what changed and what hasn't changed.

And with 1.4 and 1.5, my quad can't fly straight AT ALL. It drifts like crazy if there is wind. I'm hoping that 1.6 will fix it... haven't done it yet.

I just got mine a few days ago. Would really like to it to fly where I aim it. I think updating as the manufacturer specifies is the best means of keeping my aircraft in one piece. I'm a newb though so who knows maybe I will get tired of it.

No problem at all with updates. At least it shows DJI are still perfecting things and my investment is still being developed. Have had several upgrades over the last few weeks and not found the time or weather to fly before the next one came along. Managed to get out a couple of days ago ago and it flew faultlessly (as usual). I just need to remind myself occasionally how fantastic this technology is when I think back to the days of building your own helicopter, (Kalt anybody?) installing a new fangled gyro and taking your pride and joy home in a bin liner most days!

Haha... Too funny. Must agree these quadcopters are pretty amazing.

No problem at all with updates. At least it shows DJI are still perfecting things and my investment is still being developed. Have had several upgrades over the last few weeks and not found the time or weather to fly before the next one came along. Managed to get out a couple of days ago ago and it flew faultlessly (as usual). I just need to remind myself occasionally how fantastic this technology is when I think back to the days of building your own helicopter, (Kalt anybody?) installing a new fangled gyro and taking your pride and joy home in a bin liner most days!
Haha. Not the ole' Kalt Baron? I went that route. Lets not forget Schluter, Kyosho, GMP. No gyros, mechanical gyros, solid state gyros, heading hold gyros.
The technology inside the P3 is nothing short of amazing. Quite a difference from the "old" days.

SD

Totally agree. I flew various versions of Mikado. But it was more time building than flying. Every time you flipped the switch to 3D, you heart is in your mouth and your brain is so focused that you forget to enjoy flying the damned thing.
DJI has brought the joy back to flying.

From a usability standpoint I'd like to see the process for firmware updates change in the next DJI Product. It would be great if you could just use the app, click "Update" while all your devices were on and it happened automatically. They probably could do this now as long as you had the sd card in there.

Reactions: MichaelR
when i got my phantom i was scared to death og firmware updates because i didn't know how to put the firmware on to the sd card.
well i have learned how to do this and now the firmware up date are no problem.wish they would do the firmware up date to the ac through the app like they do on the controler.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20