Considering swapping my P2/H3-3D/GoPro setup to P2 Vision+

Reaction score
It is over four months since I first bought my Phantom 2 setup including H33D gimbal, Go Pro Hero 3+, DJI iOSD mini, ImmersionRC 600mw video tx, Spironet V2 antennae, and Flysoght Black pearl FPV screen. I have had too many issues with it over the past couple of months that I am thinking of selling it all and hoping for better from a P2 Vision Plus. I think when it is all working fine the setup I have is incredible, but I have video playback issues, flight time issues, battery issues, GPS mode issues, etc, etc...... The thing is just too much hassle. As the P2 Vision plus comes ready to fly out of the box, and no FPV setting up required in terms of adding extras on here and there, are the flight times generally very similar for everyone? What flight time are you P2 Vision plus owners getting on average? Are they pretty much the same as a standard P2 FPV setup?

Re: Considering swapping my P2/H3-3D/GoPro setup to P2 Visio

I pretty much have the same setup as you and have no issues other than some flickering on the black pearl, sounds like something else might be going on?

"but I have video playback issues, flight time issues, battery issues, GPS mode issues"

Details?

You're right, it's ready to go out of the box. That's what drew me in as well but now that I've got 30-40 flights in and have started to concentrate more on the video/photos with the P2V+. I have to say i'm not overly impressed with the video or photo quality of this unit. I'm tempted to go the quickrelease route from droneexperts.nl and try the gopro route.

malibusteve70 said:
I pretty much have the same setup as you and have no issues other than some flickering on the black pearl, sounds like something else might be going on?

"but I have video playback issues, flight time issues, battery issues, GPS mode issues"

Details?

Hi.... Flight time issues for me would be 12 minutes flight time, I could almost get this with a £350 DJI FC40 - most people are getting maybe 14-16 minutes and my flight times must be down to the setup itself rather than the batteries as it appears they are both totally healthy and they both produce equal flight times. When I initially bought everything I was expecting a minimum of 16-18 mins. Anyway, besides this my video playback issues include some jello with both H33D gimbals I have used (first replaced) and I even changed the dampening pads which sorted it out a little bit. There wasn't an incredible amount of jello let's be honest, but a setup which cost me over £1000 I feel the quality of the H33D isn't fantastic. And then we have the flimsy ribbon charging cable to use with my GoPro Hero3+, this is not up to the job! and causes horrible audio interference on all of my videos at the beginning and end. OK I appreciate there is a known fox for this as mentioned quite a bit on these forums but this defeats the whole object of the cable allowing your GoPro to charge while the P2 is on. Basically it isn't good enough either for the money. It is almost as if the newer H33D models were brought out without any realisation about how they had actually taken a step back with the quality of them, or more likely the ribbon is used because of some patent problem with GoPro or to save on cost of materials. GPS mode issues....... I am sure I am just as likely to get these with a Vision 2 plus as with my current setup, but hoping with the updated version 3 P2's and their newer motors and compasses maybe things have improved, but for over a month without any reason my P2 simply decides to drift. I have done everything to correct this - changed the props, inspected internally for anything untoward, done the compass dance (properly), done several (unnecessary) IMU calibrations in order to try and rectify it, done more compass dances, done a transmitter calibration, flown it in various open spaces with no nearby interference, and still....... It drifts and does not hold its position at all - if I left it as I used to do when it was working just fine, it now keeps flying away into the distance but thankfully I am able to correct it and land her safely each time. This is not going to be an issue related to my P2 only, I am sure it will also be seen as often in the P2 Vision+ models but it isn't good enough. Battery issues...... Actually I thought I did have battery issues originally which caused the poor flight times, but this is probably not the case, I mentioned this by mistake in the previous comment in my flurry of words....... Other gimbal issue I forgot to mention, it "twitches" and takes minutes to calibrate, I have done several things to try and fix this following several member's answers and so on, but again it just looks like a faulty gimbal.

rgb62 said:
You're right, it's ready to go out of the box. That's what drew me in as well but now that I've got 30-40 flights in and have started to concentrate more on the video/photos with the P2V+. I have to say i'm not overly impressed with the video or photo quality of this unit. I'm tempted to go the quickrelease route from droneexperts.nl and try the gopro route.

I'd be interested to hear why you think the quality isn't great and how do you fit the quick release? Also, what are your flights now and have they changed much since you bought it new?

Interesting. Lots of folks are disgusted with how easily the P2V+ camera/gimbal breaks with even minor crashes, and are thinking of going with the H3-3D and GoPro setup like yours instead.

freefall101 said:
malibusteve70 said:

Details?

Hi.... Flight time issues for me would be 12 minutes flight time, I could almost get this with a £350 DJI FC40 - most people are getting maybe 14-16 minutes and my flight times must be down to the setup itself rather than the batteries as it appears they are both totally healthy and they both produce equal flight times. When I initially bought everything I was expecting a minimum of 16-18 mins. Anyway, besides this my video playback issues include some jello with both H33D gimbals I have used (first replaced) and I even changed the dampening pads which sorted it out a little bit. There wasn't an incredible amount of jello let's be honest, but a setup which cost me over £1000 I feel the quality of the H33D isn't fantastic. And then we have the flimsy ribbon charging cable to use with my GoPro Hero3+, this is not up to the job! and causes horrible audio interference on all of my videos at the beginning and end. OK I appreciate there is a known fox for this as mentioned quite a bit on these forums but this defeats the whole object of the cable allowing your GoPro to charge while the P2 is on. Basically it isn't good enough either for the money. It is almost as if the newer H33D models were brought out without any realisation about how they had actually taken a step back with the quality of them, or more likely the ribbon is used because of some patent problem with GoPro or to save on cost of materials. GPS mode issues....... I am sure I am just as likely to get these with a Vision 2 plus as with my current setup, but hoping with the updated version 3 P2's and their newer motors and compasses maybe things have improved, but for over a month without any reason my P2 simply decides to drift. I have done everything to correct this - changed the props, inspected internally for anything untoward, done the compass dance (properly), done several (unnecessary) IMU calibrations in order to try and rectify it, done more compass dances, done a transmitter calibration, flown it in various open spaces with no nearby interference, and still....... It drifts and does not hold its position at all - if I left it as I used to do when it was working just fine, it now keeps flying away into the distance but thankfully I am able to correct it and land her safely each time. This is not going to be an issue related to my P2 only, I am sure it will also be seen as often in the P2 Vision+ models but it isn't good enough. Battery issues...... Actually I thought I did have battery issues originally which caused the poor flight times, but this is probably not the case, I mentioned this by mistake in the previous comment in my flurry of words....... Other gimbal issue I forgot to mention, it "twitches" and takes minutes to calibrate, I have done several things to try and fix this following several member's answers and so on, but again it just looks like a faulty gimbal.

I just finished building a P2 Ver 2 with same setup except for AVL58 as a transmitter. I'm waiting for delivery of a 3+BE gopro. I want fluid 1080p @ 60fps

I bought the plus because it was suggested that if you didn't own a gopro, get a the plus. Done 8 months, 100 flights-zero crashes, foil mod, 7th chan mod, +700m FPV range, I'm pretty happy with her. The only let down is the video. The only acceptable setting is 720p @ 60fps. All other settings are horrid.

The main advantage of the plus is the 2 way communication - able to change settings/take photos/Ground Station/and follow me flying. Photos are nice, but I could never frame it correctly and annoyed when the fpv doesn't restore.

And regarding your issues:

If you have a 3+BE, you can change the h3-3d to hero port on the back v1.0. This wont work with the GP4 black.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GoPro-FPV-Vi ... 3ce78ca07d

Jello can be sorted by defaulting the gain settings and then adjusting in increments of 5% or 10%. The gains may also be causing your battery/twitch issue. I had it on my jello vision+ and adjusting the gains resolved it. You can also try a polarise/ND filter/Lens hood on the gopro to minimise jello.

As for drifting, check your switches and confirm the lights flashing to make sure it aint flying in ATTI mode. You can check your switches in the phantom assist. My left toggle switch failed and forced CL IOC on my plus. My new P2 V2 has the foil mod applied so it can pick up faster and maximum satellites to guarantee that it doesn't switch to ATTI.

Hope that helps.

freefall101 said:
rgb62 said:

I'd be interested to hear why you think the quality isn't great and how do you fit the quick release? Also, what are your flights now and have they changed much since you bought it new?

Photos have a very drastic fisheye look to them, very distorted. Even when using the correct lens profile to correct it in Lightroom, it's still pretty distorted. Video suffers greatly from Moire. For instance flying over building, cars, parking spaces, all you see is moving lines & distortion. At least I see it.

When I first started flying it was really about flying it, getting used to how it works and understanding the boundaries, etc.. Now I'd like to try and start concentrating on getting good photos and videos but haven't been very happy with the results just yet. Maybe in time, we'll see.

As for the quick release, check out droneexpert.nl for details.

I've contemplated this recently with a headache here and a headache there but with image quality being priority number one there is no comparison between the two setups. GoPro wins it hands down. The gimbal is smoother (when they work)...I do wish flight times were better but it's a heavier load so I expect it to be less.

I would love to see some sort of review for the quick release, I think having the option to use my hero 3 is fantastic as I'm also not one hundred percent satisfied with video and picture quality of the vision plus camera.

What do you use to set up the Go Pro on the P2V+? I"m new to all this and need the gimbal set up or whatever it takes...in easy to understand language please. Thanks!

if you've only had it 4months, put it back into the box & return it for a refund. I've got exactly the same spec, & class myself as a novice (flight & building wise) but only issue i have the same as you is the not very brilliant flight time

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.