Considering new phantom

Reaction score
Hey guys, new member here and about to buy a phantom 4. My question is which one?
I have heard the new 4 v2.0 is not all that much more of an improvement from the other phantom 4 and if I just got the version 1 to buy the new blades for it.

Any chance someone could be nice enough to describe to me the defining features of all the phantoms and give any recommendations and possibly links? I do have the DJI educational discount so I would prefer to buy from there. Anything helps, thanks guys y'all.

I have heard the new 4 v2.0 is not all that much more of an improvement from the other phantom 4 and if I just got the version 1 to buy the new blades for it.
Per the P4P FAQ, here are the main differences between the P4 and P4P:

"The Phantom 4 Pro redefines the iconic Phantom series, bringing imaging and intelligence to new heights. Its uprated camera shoots 4K/60fps at a bitrate of 100Mbps and stills up to 20-megapixels, creating dramatically better images. The FlightAutonomy system adds dual rear vision sensors and two Time of Flight range imaging cameras for a total of 5 directions of obstacle sensing with a range of up to 30m in all directions. The upgraded Lightbridge HD video transmission system offers an extended maximum transmission range of 4.3mi (7km) and also enables you to switch between 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz. It can also be used with an optional integrated monitor for even more reliable transmission. Operators are also further empowered with a new suite of ActiveTrack and TapFly functions. The aircraft’s Intelligent Flight Battery also have increased capacity by 520mAh to enable an extended flight time of 30 minutes."

Per the P4P V2 FAQ, here are the main differences between the P4P and P4P V2:

"The Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 uses the same camera as the Phantom 4 Pro and is equipped with a 1-inch 20-megapixel sensor capable of shooting 4K/60fps video at 100Mbps. Also, like the Phantom 4 Pro, V2.0 features a 30-minute maximum flight time and 7-kilometer long-range control. The remote controller of the Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 also supports 2.4 and 5.8GHz frequency switching, and a remote controller a with built-in screen is also available. Different from the Phantom 4 Pro, the Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 is equipped with an OcuSync transmission system, which allows the drone to connect to DJI Goggles wirelessly. The Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 also features an upgraded propulsion system with FOC sinusoidal driver ESCs and 9455S quick-release propellers that reduce noise and make the drone more aerodynamic."

"The Phantom 4 Pro redefines the iconic Phantom series, bringing imaging and intelligence to new heights. Its uprated camera shoots 4K/60fps at a bitrate of 100Mbps and stills up to 20-megapixels, creating dramatically better images. The FlightAutonomy system adds dual rear vision sensors and two Time of Flight range imaging cameras for a total of 5 directions of obstacle sensing with a range of up to 30m in all directions. The upgraded Lightbridge HD video transmission system offers an extended maximum transmission range of 4.3mi (7km) and also enables you to switch between 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz. It can also be used with an optional integrated monitor for even more reliable transmission. Operators are also further empowered with a new suite of ActiveTrack and TapFly functions. The aircraft’s Intelligent Flight Battery also have increased capacity by 520mAh to enable an extended flight time of 30 minutes."

"The Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 uses the same camera as the Phantom 4 Pro and is equipped with a 1-inch 20-megapixel sensor capable of shooting 4K/60fps video at 100Mbps. Also, like the Phantom 4 Pro, V2.0 features a 30-minute maximum flight time and 7-kilometer long-range control. The remote controller of the Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 also supports 2.4 and 5.8GHz frequency switching, and a remote controller a with built-in screen is also available. Different from the Phantom 4 Pro, the Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 is equipped with an OcuSync transmission system, which allows the drone to connect to DJI Goggles wirelessly. The Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 also features an upgraded propulsion system with FOC sinusoidal driver ESCs and 9455S quick-release propellers that reduce noise and make the drone more aerodynamic."

What about one of the phantom4 or phantom 4 pro compared to the new version 2 they just put out? If I got one of the version 1 models I would probably try to get the new propellers with it. Other than those, is the new V2.0 worth it being 3 or 4 hundred more than the other? Thanks in advance.

Sorry just saw the second half of that response. Does the original phantom 4 have all the same flight capabilities and features as the new one? Like the same obstacle sensors, return to home, lock onto object, etc...?

All of the P4 models come packed with the same flight modes. The P4 only has forward facing obstacle avoidance sensors. I wouldn't consider that a deal breaker though (for me anyhow) since the sensors are not foolproof. It would be better to avoid obstacles with your eyes.

Reactions: quadrotor
I just upgraded from the P4 to the Advanced. Only difference is the better camera.

unless they don't want to bring attention to an existing problem on the V1.0
Taking off without a properly inserted battery is a problem when flying any DJI drone. While it's great to see DJI taking steps to make their drones more "idiot proof", pilots should be checking things like this routinely before taking off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik