"Connection To Phantom Failed"

Reaction score
On Phantom 2 Vision, have had it over one year with very good results. Do not know what triggered this, but now get a message on IPhone6 when trying to start camera or album in DJI App that "Connection To Phantom Failed". I do show in my setting area that the Phantom and IPhone are connected and when going to the App, it shows connected to Phantm XXXXX, but get above shown message when tryin to start camera. have rebound camera several time, have Bluetooth turned off, have checked all software/firmware updates which are the latest, have rebooted IPhone6, have deleted and reinstalled the DJI App, all with same result. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I believe when you see "connected to Phantom xxxxx" it is referring to the signal being transmitted from your extender to your mobile device. But there is another signal coming from the camera itself and it's that signal which needs to be received by the extender. And it seems that for some reason, that's not happening. So it seems you need to try to bind again. The binding is between the extender and the camera. So I'd try that and be patient after you finish because the extender needs to reboot itself to complete the process and it takes time. Wait for the "binding successful" message or the "binding failed" message.

Another possibility is you have a bricked range extender which was a big problem a few months ago but I don't think it's a problem now.

Do you get telemetry data , battery distance etc, the update issue affected FPV only not telemetry. To see if the camera is transmitting a wifi signal use a program called INSSIDER to view wifi, my signature has my YouTube channel in it have a look on my channel for a video on using Inssider.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Do you get telemetry data , battery distance etc, the update issue affected FPV only not telemetry. To see if the camera is transmitting a wifi signal use a program called INSSIDER to view wifi, my signature has my YouTube channel in it have a look on my channel for a video on using Inssider.

Hey crash1sttime, and Mark the Droner, thanks for the responses! With this there is no data at all being transmitted to the phone. I'm attaching a screenshot of my iPhone just after I try to connect.

I attempted to connect directly to the bird this morning without the range extender. I was able to connect to the wifi but got the same error when I opened the camera screen. Is there another way to narrow down if the issue is software/firmware or hardware?

Attachments

• File_000.png
    File_000.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 574
Did the wifi have the same name as before... was it Phantom xxxxx ?

I remember reading in the manual that you want to be sure to connect to Phantom xxxxx and not another wifi signal because it's apparently possible to connect to the wifi coming straight out of the bird, but the range will be extremely limited. In other words, you don't want to do it.

First off watch this video, and make sure that their are 2 wifi's being generated
1) phantom_Xxxx which is the one from the range extender
2) an unnamed SSID which is the wifi from the camera make a note of the MAC address

If both are showing your wifi is fine

Reset the range extender using the small reset button,? Hold until the system light goes out.

Once the extender is reset connect to the phantom_XXXX wifi and then open the Dji app go into settings and bindings and choose new camera and enter the MAC address you obtained earlier.

Click the top blue button and exit settings and close the app

Now wait, the range extender will reset itself

Connect again to the phantom_xxxx network and open the app and see if you are now connected

First off watch this video, and make sure that their are 2 wifi's being generated
1) phantom_Xxxx which is the one from the range extender
2) an unnamed SSID which is the wifi from the camera make a note of the MAC address

If both are showing your wifi is fine

Reset the range extender using the small reset button,? Hold until the system light goes out.

Once the extender is reset connect to the phantom_XXXX wifi and then open the Dji app go into settings and bindings and choose new camera and enter the MAC address you obtained earlier.

Click the top blue button and exit settings and close the app

Now wait, the range extender will reset itself

Connect again to the phantom_xxxx network and open the app and see if you are now connected

I downloaded the wifi software and can see the phantom wifi signal but do not see the unnamed wifi signal you mention for the camera. My P2V has been in storage about 9 months in a box and as I got it out this weekend, I can get everything working fine except the camera feed to the app on my iphone 6. So am I to suppose that the camera wifi transmitter went bad sitting in storage and I would have to send it in for replacement to DJI? Thanks for your help as I was able to determine I was not getting a camera wifi signal. I followed through with rebinding with the right QR code but obviously if the camera is no longer transmitting a wifi signal, than no luck. Bob

Daft question

Is the switch on the back of the Camera set to wifi?

Any lights on the camera

Think I have a similar problem
P2 FC200 Camera Has No Wi-Fi Signal

I have a different phone app "wi-fi analyser." but it shows that I have Wi-Fi extender Mac address but no Mac signal from the egg shape FC200 camera.
-Checked cable at back of camera it is fully inserted.
-Same cable is firmly installed in camera socket on main board.
-Camera switch is all the way to the right
- Green light on camera is lit and fan operating as well.

Do you think that I may have a bad wi-fi card in the camera?

Your thoughts??

No Mark I've been seeing J Dot having to show folks how to replace those boards a lot lately .
Seems it was something to do with the extender being updated and burned them up but J Dot
is the go to man on them so lets wait till he logs on and he sure can tell us .:)

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Ahh ok. I never had that extender update. Thanks for the info!

<waiting on J Dot>
Yea that update mess up a bunch's cameras , was a bug .
Sometimes ya have to hollor several times at @J Dot for his old eyes to see the flag Mark :) lol

Hello Everyone,

Ok,
First let me start by saying, if your crafts have sat for a while, and your extender battery has died, you most likely lost binding.
I see it all the time.

If any of you have chose to UPGRADE range extender, than you might have a burnt board number 3 on the egg fc200 camera.
( this will give you telemetry, but no live feed ) just a spinning symbol.
And you can bind camera, just no video feed.

If wifi board is bad ( bottom board of camera ) when you go to hook your phone to phantom wifi, it will constantly say UNABLE TO CONNECT TO PHANTOM NETWORK, you won't even be able to connect to extender ( unless you reset it first )

If top board is bad, it will give several issues
1) will connect to repeater SOMETIMES, but mostly unable to connect, or
2) you can connect to extender, but it will say phantom connection broken ( you will get no telemetry, or video. )

I've never seen board 2 go bad, or lens board go bad. So I don't know what they will cause?

Ok
Now on wifi scanners, iOS apps will not scan the hidden wifi ( at least none I've found ) as I believe apple does not allow it, but android does.

As stated above
Use android InSSIDer app ( will cost ten bucks, but worth it. )

To use,
ONLY TURN BIRD ON, NOTHING ELSE.
open InSSIDer app, look for ( 60:60:1f:??:??:?? ) the ?'s will be your Mac addy.
( if you see it, you are transmitting wifi, if you do not, wifi board is bad. ) give it up to 45 seconds to scan, sometimes it takes a while.

Ok,
Once you have the Mac addy, ( if craft was bought used, might have a different number than on craft or box ).

Binding
Turn on extender, wait 45 seconds, press reset button, and hold until you get a solid light on, once light goes out, release button.
Now turn on remote and bird.

Hook phone to phantom wifi network, open app, go to settings, binding, choose bottom MAC address, manually type in Mac addy you scanned earlier, press the blue check top right corner of app, then on next screen, press blue check again, once it goes to next screen, hit back button on app, then turn everything OFF. ( bird, Tx and extender. )

Now turn everything back on as normal, you should be bound and working, if not, try a couple more times, sometimes it takes a few times to take, not often but has happened.

Once linked look for signs above, for different boards. I have several boards, but no board 3's.

Try these things, then get back to me.

Here is a video tutorial I did a while ago and may help.

I'll try to help, but might go back to app reversion, so we will go one step at a time!

J Dot
:cool:

Last edited:
Hi.
just joined as I am experiencing exactly this on my P2V who has been sitting for over a year..
Thanks for all the awesome advise , If you can please help me confirm my wifi unable to connect issue..

I start up the phantom..
I see no hidden SSID on my wifi scan
I turn on extender.. can see that as my "phantom_xxx"
try to hook up with the app no luck
can bind using extender MAC
app show green extender but nothing else..

so I conclude wifi fried.. which seem to coincide also "burnt electronics" smell that I had for a minute a couple of days back..

what is my best option at this point (also have a GLB gimbal mounted)?
Should I try to fix the fc 200 wifi ? how?
Should I take the opportunity to get a better camera/gimbal
Should I buy a new bird altogether?

any further advise appreciated and a very happy new year

Ulf

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues