Connecting the walkera G2D gimbal

Reaction score
I have been using the gimbal on my P1 for a while. I power the gimbal with a second small battery. I have been considering connecting the pitch control. Can I just run one wire from the F2 on the NAZA to the gimbal and have it work. I don't think it will using a second battery. I would rather not get power from the quad. It would drain flight battery faster and I feel that if anything shorted in gimbal it could mess up the quad internals.

The one problem that I see powering from the Naza only, is that it could cause "brownouts" which can affect flight control. That it works, it works... but at what potential cost?

I power gimbal and fpv transmitter off the main battery and am getting 12+ minute flight times from Black Magic 3000 batteries

I had the walkera g2d gimbal for a while powered by the aux wires coming from the landing gear. Then I finally took it apart to attach the pitch control.

I have read many times that the f2 alone is enough to power the gimbal, but I just left my aux wired up anyway as well as plugged in the f2. I have went on many, many flights now with this setup and it works great. Every once in a while the gimbal will also spaz out and go almost vertical for a second, but that happened on my last cheap chinese gimbal frequently. I just assume these cheap gimbals are very glitchy, but it's never affected my phantoms flight.

Honestly, I think that using a second battery to power your gimbal is not worth it. I have never tested it myself because i've never bought a small battery, however I still think the added weight is less advantageous. I've used my p1 with p2 props both with just a gopro hero 3 with the case on, as well as with the walkera gimbal with gopro3. The battery life is the same, even with the gimbal wired up to the quad battery.

My main question was....if using an external battery for gimbal....will running only one wire from F2 port to gimbal pit port allow my pitch control to work. Thanks for the replies

My main question was....if using an external battery for gimbal....will running only one wire from F2 port to gimbal pit port allow my pitch control to work. Thanks for the replies

Yes it will. That's how I have another gimbal (Feiyu Tech Mini 3D) installed and it works fine. Some people like to use signal + ground just to make sure the path is complete.

I was thinking it would take at least two wires. Using the external battery with no connections to quad, I just don't see how one signal wire would work.

I was thinking it would take at least two wires. Using the external battery with no connections to quad, I just don't see how one signal wire would work.

You can just connect the entire PIT servo lead to the F2, and cut the red (power) wire.

I really want to keep the gimbal power separate from quad in case the gimbal shorts or something. controlling the gimbal pitch is not that important to me. Not worth messing up the quad to do it. I couldn't see what I was doing anyway with pitch. I make make a little knob thing to adjust pitch rather than trying to get the little plastic screwdriver to work in the field.

Never had a problem with my gimbal connected to the flight battery. If you do what I posted above, there will only be signal + ground connections to the Naza, no power.

You can just connect the entire PIT servo lead to the F2, and cut the red (power) wire.
Ok, I think I see where you are going. So it would take at least two wires. I see some have good luck and others say the pitch control has a mind of its own at times.

Ok, I think I see where you are going. So it would take at least two wires. I see some have good luck and others say the pitch control has a mind of its own at times.

As I stated previously, it should work with just the signal wire. But if you feel uncomfortable with that, you can also connect ground. Personally I connected only the signal wire (granted, with a different gimbal) to the F2 and it works just fine. When I was using the Walkera I just had the uncut (whole) servo lead connected to the F2.

Actually I take it back... I thought I had left the aux wire in but I obviously didn't. Little brain fart there...

It definitely works good and has worked good the entire time. Just hook up the pitch control to f2 and fly without a spare battery. It works fine.

Yes it will. That's how I have another gimbal (Feiyu Tech Mini 3D) installed and it works fine. Some people like to use signal + ground just to make sure the path is complete.

So you are running power to your Mini 3d from an external battery? I have mine soldered into one of the ESC leads on the power board, and I cannot calibrate my compass. It fails every time I do the nose down calibration. I have no clue what is causing it.

So you are running power to your Mini 3d from an external battery? I have mine soldered into one of the ESC leads on the power board, and I cannot calibrate my compass. It fails every time I do the nose down calibration. I have no clue what is causing it.
Check to be sure there's no magnetic tool, phone/tablet protective case or large ferrous object nearby.
If not, google "degaussing phantom compass" for ways to demagnetize a partially magnetized P1 compass.

You all are way beyond me but never the less I would appreciate your expertise. Christmas before last my son in law surprised all of us when he gave me a Phantom 1. We flew it quite a bit so I bought a GoPro Hero 1 connected to the P1 with the DJI fitting that came with the P1. Worked okay for me, then this past Christmas he gave me a Walkera gimbal. I got every thing assembled; however was left with three wires hanging from the gimbal. I have only the vaguest idea of how these wires would connect with the P1. I am an aerospace engineer but with an electrical schematic or wiring diagram I don't have a clue. Would one of you seasoned experts have it in your heart to help me understand what I do next (in very simple terms.) My P1 currently looks like a gutted starfish.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thank you for your reply. The gimbal is a Walkera G-2D. I screwed up not including the model. I thought I had searched every where but obviously not.[emoji849]

Went to the website you suggested it took a bit of digging but I finally found a video which walked me through the steps to lengthen the wires that came with the G-2D and where to connect them to a power source and where to plug them into the NAZA. Thanks again doubly.

Went to the website you suggested it took a bit of digging but I finally found a video which walked me through the steps to lengthen the wires that came with the G-2D and where to connect them to a power source and where to plug them into the NAZA. Thanks again doubly.

Glad you found the information you needed....

Assuming everything went well after applying power, was it easy to balance the gimbal? That usually takes some patience but its VERY important. If not balanced well the gimbal will NOT remain stable as you move it around.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20