Connecticut Flyers: My Norwalk experience today - beware

Have you been approached by "authorities" that said "no drones here" when it is actually OK?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
I took my P4 to Calf Pasture Beach in Norwalk, CT. Lots of grassy park, a nice beach. It cost $25 just to park there for a day but it gets better. Soon after I lifted off from the park area behind the beach and headed over Long Island Sound for whale watching, a "lifeguard" came up to me and said that I could not "fly over the beach". I questioned that and he said it's a Norwalk rule. I said that I was over the Sound and not the beach and that there is nothing posted about any No Fly Zone. I said that I had to focus on flying not chatting with him. Soon thereafter a "supervisor" drove up in a golf cart and said "no flying here". I repeated what I told his associate and pressed "return to home". I don't want negativity or strife in my life. On the way out I called Norwalk Police. Sgt. Sherry said there is no such prohibition and lots of people fly in that park and over the sound. Said to use his name if that happened again and said that he'd go down there and get them straightened out. NICE.

As to the flight. My 1st over water and at an extended distance. I got 4400 feet max distance from me and I flew at 37 feet. Very strong signal all the way, video and RC. I wanted to be very cautious on my 1st over water at the longest distance from me I've done yet.

On the Return To Home: It was flawless. I set the RTH altitude at 100 feet just in case trees might be in the way. It returned perfectly and landed by itself within 6" of where it took off. Wind about 7 to 10 knots, from the sound to the beach.

My flight was cut short by the strife, but I'll be back Sunday for more Whale Watching. I flew about 12 minutes. The total distance flown was 2.8 miles. Took off with 98% battery and landed with 54%

This area is public with no actual restrictions, airspace or otherwise.

You can see the stats on this flight and look at the map on:

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

I used to live in Branford before relocating to South Florida. Were you able to get any footage of whales??

Unfortunately not, because of being chased away. But like I said in the POST, I'll be back Sunday. I THINK I got some dolphins and I'll check probably this weekend when I unpack my Phantom and take out the SD card. CT is SOOOO beautiful !

Unfortunately not, because of being chased away. But like I said in the POST, I'll be back Sunday. I THINK I got some dolphins and I'll check probably this weekend when I unpack my Phantom and take out the SD card. CT is SOOOO beautiful !

Please share some stills if you do... sounds wonderful this time of the year. I'm headed down to the Keys next week to do some flats fishing and hope to have my P4 with me to see what I can capture using a circular polarizer. The last time I was down there, and the fist time I flew over water, I inadvertently was able to see the sharks that were in the chum slick we baited. Pretty cool stuff.

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
I took my P4 to Calf Pasture Beach in Norwalk, CT. Lots of grassy park, a nice beach. It cost $25 just to park there for a day but it gets better. Soon after I lifted off from the park area behind the beach and headed over Long Island Sound for whale watching, a "lifeguard" came up to me and said that I could not "fly over the beach". I questioned that and he said it's a Norwalk rule. I said that I was over the Sound and not the beach and that there is nothing posted about any No Fly Zone. I said that I had to focus on flying not chatting with him. Soon thereafter a "supervisor" drove up in a golf cart and said "no flying here". I repeated what I told his associate and pressed "return to home". I don't want negativity or strife in my life. On the way out I called Norwalk Police. Sgt. Sherry said there is no such prohibition and lots of people fly in that park and over the sound. Said to use his name if that happened again and said that he'd go down there and get them straightened out. NICE.

As to the flight. My 1st over water and at an extended distance. I got 4400 feet max distance from me and I flew at 37 feet. Very strong signal all the way, video and RC. I wanted to be very cautious on my 1st over water at the longest distance from me I've done yet.

On the Return To Home: It was flawless. I set the RTH altitude at 100 feet just in case trees might be in the way. It returned perfectly and landed by itself within 6" of where it took off. Wind about 7 to 10 knots, from the sound to the beach.

My flight was cut short by the strife, but I'll be back Sunday for more Whale Watching. I flew about 12 minutes. The total distance flown was 2.8 miles. Took off with 98% battery and landed with 54%

I call these authority obsessed ignoramuses "Barneys" as from the Andy Griffith show.

You're a better man than me. I would have summoned law enforcement MYSELF. Unless it's private property and they are the manager/owner/private security of the property, or they have law enforcement credentials if it's public property, they have no authority. Period.

Pound sand back to where you came from comes to mind.

I guess I have to admire your not being an ***. I can't say that I would have done the same.

You're a better man than me. I would have summoned law enforcement MYSELF. Unless it's private property and they are the manager/owner/private security of the property, or they have law enforcement credentials if it's public property, they have no authority. Period.

Pound sand back to where you came from comes to mind.

I guess I have to admire your not being an ***. I can't say that I would have done the same.

Well...My PTSD (and my being 68) kept be away from conflict that could easily be avoided. At my age, life is too short. At YOUR age too (regardless of how old/young you are).

As recent events show, "what the heck is happening in/to this world??!!" SO.....I choose, when possible, to walk on the sunny side of the street. Thank you for your words of support.

Here's an UPDATE:

The Parks & Rec "chief", Mike somebody called me and screamed at me ! He said "FLYING OBJECTS are not permitted" per ordinance

Actually the ordinance says:

§ 74-8

Playing ball; exchanging flying objects; kicking objects; dogs; fires.

[Amended 7-14-1981]

A.

No person while at Calf Pasture Beach shall play hardball or softball, throw or otherwise exchange any flying object or projectile, kick or hit any ball or other object on the beach proper or in the water within 300 feet of the shore.

B.

No dogs shall be allowed on the beach, except seeing-eye dogs.

C.

No fires shall be lit in city parks except in designated areas.

(Emphasis added by me)

Note: BEACH PROPER.

Note: EXCHANGE (as with throwing or hitting (badminton etc)

He said "Norwalk Police (that told me it IS OK to fly there) don't know what they are talking about"

I did not and was not intending one flying on/over the BEACH "PROPER".

So while I think I'm OK there, I don't want to rock a drone boat when there are other places I can fly. The less battles "we" engage in, the better.

I ran into a similar situation while flying @ Cranbury Park. Even though there are no signs or anything posted otherwise, I was told that there are no "Flying objects" allowed at the park and chased out by a nasty woman. This is strange because there is a frisbee golf course also at the park.

Anyway, can you share any other areas in Norwalk where you have been able to fly without any issues?

I have no problems in most places. I follow the rules very strictly. When/if you are confronted by authorities saying "no fly", it's best to leave without saying a word. Avoid anything near people not involved with your own activities. As to "flying objects", that was created "pre-drone-days", and applies to objects without control. But don't test it.

I have no problems in most places. I follow the rules very strictly. When/if you are confronted by authorities saying "no fly", it's best to leave without saying a word. Avoid anything near people not involved with your own activities. As to "flying objects", that was created "pre-drone-days", and applies to objects without control. But don't test it.
I just got my P4Pro and am now looking for places in Fairfield County to fly without getting harrassed AND while getting some nice footage of the cities. Any recommendations since you been flyer allot longer than I have....

I flew at Calf Pasture Point today at noon and it was great. Nobody bothered me or my P3S and several walkers/joggers stopped to visit. Would be happy to talk to other Norwalk-Westport area quadcopter pilots.

This reminds me of ATV in Washington state you must license
them pay fuel taxes $30.00 a years golden pass
But very few places to ride.
Most places like capital forest have 58" width limit
set up for motor cycles
So like Drones beware

I flew at Calf Pasture Point today at noon and it was great. Nobody bothered me or my P3S and several walkers/joggers stopped to visit. Would be happy to talk to other Norwalk-Westport area quadcopter pilots.
Thanks for the response. I pursued this with the mayor and the city's lawyers. I believe that they brought it to the town counsel. I never followed up because I wanted to STAY AWAY. (I've got PTSD). I'll call Mayor's office on Monday and let you know what I find out, Please also join FB New England Phantom Flyers, just getting started. Pass it on to other Phantom Flyers in New England. I personally have a Phantom 4, 4 Pro Plus and Mavic. Not that you asked, and off subject, I think DJI support is as poor as it's products are excellent. Worst I've ever experienced.

Hey folks, I recently bought a drone and now I need to find a place to learn to fly it. I'm in the Norwalk/Westport/Wilton area, any thoughts would be much appreciated

Hey folks, I recently bought a drone and now I need to find a place to learn to fly it. I'm in the Norwalk/Westport/Wilton area, any thoughts would be much appreciated
Any of the Norwalk City parks should be fine. I have flown at Roton Field on Highland Ave and the park down by the Rowayton Library. Veterans Park in SoNo is a BIG open field and you should be good there too. Just stay away from the beaches, lol

I'm using the know before you fly app and there seems to be a heliport in Norwalk I'm close to. Am I supposed to call them and tell them I'm flying at a park? Seems a little strict and unnecessary?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie