Connect to 2 WIFIs or Cable between P3S Controller and Tablet

Reaction score
From my understanding of my P3S, the tablet talks to the controller via a WIFI connection (unlike the P3A/P3P which use a cable). Now, I want to fly my P3S and have access to a secondary WIFI (via a hotspot, for maps download etc.). The only feasible option I can think of is to somehow enable cable communication between the tablet and the P3S controller. Has anyone tried this or knows of a way? The other option would be somehow to bridge 2 WIFI networks but that's becoming complicated and not sure most tablets can do this.

Any thoughts/comments on how to achieve this?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
The easiest solution it to cache the maps beforehand, if that's what you are trying to enable.

You can buy WiFi to USB adaptor converters - typically used to extend coverage into difficult locations. But they need to be powered usually and are not so small.
So in theory you could connect adaptor to the controller WiFi, USB cable your tablet / phone to it and if allowed (many phones restrict to only one form of connection) connect to domestic WiFi as you need.

But as said - power and size of the unit is the problem.

Nigel

You can buy WiFi to USB adaptor converters - typically used to extend coverage into difficult locations. But they need to be powered usually and are not so small.
So in theory you could connect adaptor to the controller WiFi, USB cable your tablet / phone to it and if allowed (many phones restrict to only one form of connection) connect to domestic WiFi as you need.

But as said - power and size of the unit is the problem.

Nigel

Thank you. That's exactly what I was thinking. I already have one such USB-WIFI and they are large (the old thumb drives). They do make smaller ones (size of a dongle for wireless mouse) but those are limited to only 150 MBPS. That said, and to answer other forum members, I am exploring what could be done with the hardware I already have: P3S, Nvidia Shield (should be arriving in 2-3 days), LiveStream Box (takes any HDMI input and streams it over cellular - needs a cellular dongle). The idea is to do aerial video and have it show up on a TV screen (or a computer) somewhere else. There might be competing solutions already without such hardware (youtube/facebook) ... but this is a learning experience for me so, might as well use what I have and familiar with.

Why not think in terms like the long distance FPV boys with their ground stations ?

You can have a station set up that has all the power and wifi-usb adaptor setup. A wandering USB cable to your controller / display allowing you to move about.

The only trouble now I see - the app you use will need to be able to work via cable instead of via WiFi. The controller will be expecting yo talk direct to display WiFi.

Interesting though ....

Why not think in terms like the long distance FPV boys with their ground stations ?

You can have a station set up that has all the power and wifi-usb adaptor setup. A wandering USB cable to your controller / display allowing you to move about.

The only trouble now I see - the app you use will need to be able to work via cable instead of via WiFi. The controller will be expecting yo talk direct to display WiFi.

Interesting though ....

Tell me more ... You're giving me some ideas to think about :)

I'm still 'hopeful' that the controller can talk directly to the tablet via a cable. I know this is possible on the advanced versions of the drone, but I have the P3S, and per my searching, it seems either that possibility is not there, or no one has fully explored. The controller does have a micro USB, and I hate to think it's only for charging and firmware update.

Waiting to get my tablet (Nvidia Shield) in a couple of days, then I'll have the means to 'experiment'.

The USB socket on the controller would not be needed, the controller would WiFi to the adaptor.
The adaptor then cable to display.

This allows the display to then WiFi to a router for distribution.

This is why I question whether the controller will work with Go App or Litchi as example via proxy cable.
Remember - controller updates via go and WiFi - not the USB.

Nigel

coming off this conversation i have a question as well that is similar. Has anyone tried to use two tablets to view the same camera. Example, one on controller to view and someone holding another tablet taking the pictures. Both connected via wifi? I am also curious what you find out about the mini usb cable connection @JB63.

I had both my Wize3 and Cavion connected at same time, but used only one to give commands to avoid confusion. The other reacted same as if it had given command displaying the response etc.

WiFi like any other doesn't care how many connect as long as login is correct.

This is similar question as to those who want to know if possible to use more than one Rx in a model to one transmitter. Answer is yes.

Nigel

Interesting, I tried to connect BOTH an iPad Air + Nvidia Nexus, and only one could connect at a time. I tried shuffling the connection sequence to no avail. Unless there are some hidden settings (from the controller) as to how many connections can co-exist at the same time. The main difference between the two tablets is that one is iOS and the other Android, but I highly doubt this is the issue.

Last edited:
Both of mine Android.

I would think that the format and version numbers of the apps would conflict iOS to android.

I've tried connecting 2 android devices at the same time and while they will both connect to the Phantom wifi only one will ruin the GO app. Which ever device starts up first is the one that seams to have control. One bad thing I have noticed is if more than one device is connected to the Phantom wifi the range of the video link is considerably shorter.

Sent from my SM-G900I using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes, that's my experience too. Try to connect two Androids. Both will connect, but only one will show FPV and telemetery. The other shows the 2.4 signal strength and that is all.

But if you shut off the first Android or turn off the wifi, the second Android pops up and instantly works perfectly.

The few times I tried it it seemed like approx 1/3 to 1/2 the usual range before the video started to break up and then it would drop out completely . You would still have full control it only effected the GO app.

Sent from my SM-G900I using PhantomPilots mobile app

From my understanding of my P3S, the tablet talks to the controller via a WIFI connection (unlike the P3A/P3P which use a cable). Now, I want to fly my P3S and have access to a secondary WIFI (via a hotspot, for maps download etc.). The only feasible option I can think of is to somehow enable cable communication between the tablet and the P3S controller. Has anyone tried this or knows of a way? The other option would be somehow to bridge 2 WIFI networks but that's becoming complicated and not sure most tablets can do this.

Any thoughts/comments on how to achieve this?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I have an LG tablet which does not currently have an internet connections so what I do is connect to my android phone via bluetooth for internet and then connect to the controller via wifi. This works well and I believe is the solution for what you wish to achieve.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj