CONGRESSMAN COOK AUTHORS ANTI-DRONE BILL

Reaction score
By Z107.7 News, on July 14th, 2015
During the Lake Fire in the San Bernardino National Forest that burned nearly 50 square miles, aerial firefighting efforts were grounded, to avoid the hazard of a private drone. Reporter Dan Stork says that the local congressman has responding by authoring a law against such activities…
Rep. Paul Cook introduced H.R. 3025, the Wildfire Airspace Protection Act of 2015. This bill will institute a criminal penalty on anyone who launches a drone that interferes with fighting wildfires on federal property.
Recently, a hobby drone flew into airspace over the Lake Fire blaze in the San Bernardino mountains while first responders were trying to extinguish the massive wildfire. This forced the immediate grounding of all firefighting aircraft because of the threat the drone posed to low-flying planes. This prevented firefighters from keeping control of the expanding wildfire for an afternoon and led to thousands of additional acres being burned.
The Wildfire Airspace Protection Act of 2015 would make it a federal offense to launch a drone that interferes with fighting wildfires on federal property. Firefighters and other first responders who use drones for aerial firefighting would be exempted. Anyone convicted under the Wildfire Airspace Protection Act of 2015 would face a fine and imprisonment for up to five years.

I personally know Congressman Cook. I must say the tease on the news headline appears all inclusive. But it is only directed to fire fighting operations on Federal land. So I want you to know he is not a "drone Hater". But doing what politicians do. It is in my opinion a typical knee jerk reaction to add more laws to the book when we already have to many. But lawmakers have an overwhelming desire to show his constituency that they have a handle on the situation. But to add more laws seems to necessary to the Government that just erodes our freedoms more and more. One law I would approve of adding though is a a "Idiot law" that could cover a multitude of occurrences not just limited to drones but for any stupid Idiot act.

Attachments

• common sense 3.jpg
    common sense 3.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 312
Reactions: tcope
Apparently more drones have been spotted in fire operation areas recently in SoCal.

I've not been able to view the actual wording, I can only go by what is posted here. I have no problem with this law as it does nothing more turn duplicate existing law. It's a way for someone to attach their name to something and get some press coverage. There is already a law against reckless flying that applies to drones. I'm pretty sure does also are required to yield to manned aircraft. So we are jus using tax payers money to write more duplicate laws. It gives some people warm fuzzies and it's done all of the time so, whatever.

Would be interesting to see if they can screw it up by making the law unenforceable though.

One law I would approve of adding though is a a "Idiot law" that could cover a multitude of occurrences not just limited to drones but for any stupid Idiot act.

AMEN! So many of the restrictions and laws put in to place are because too many people do not have common sense (or fail to use it)!! It's a shame that there is even a need for this law to be authored, but with all the recent idiots interfering with fire fighting I have to agree that they need to be able to go after anyone who decides to be an idiot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic