Confused about gps

Isn

Reaction score
Hey all

I'm trying to sort out which tablet I may need to get. I have read that some don't have the GPS feature. What does this mean?

I want to fly with GPS but I will need one that has celluar capabilities??? These are more expensive

I am looking at either an IPad or a Samsung tablet

You only need GPS on your tablet if you want to use features that require the DJI GO app to know where you are located. Follow Me and setting the home point to your current location are currently the only two features that require GPS on your tablet.

Most Android devices have GPS. If buying an Apple device, you'll need the cellular model. You don't need to activate the cell service to use GPS. And, if you don't want to use the above features, then a Wi-Fi only tablet will be fine.

If you decide to purchase a Wi-Fi only device now and need to add GPS later, you could buy a GPS receiver. You can find a few commonly used GPS receivers here.

The Nvidia Shield is a good option. If you want to see what else works, you can find a list of other commonly used tablets here.

You only need GPS on your tablet if you want to use features that require the DJI GO app to know where you are located. Follow Me and setting the home point to your current location are currently the only two features that require GPS on your tablet.

Most Android devices have GPS. If buying an Apple device, you'll need the cellular model. You don't need to activate the cell service to use GPS. And, if you don't want to use the above features, then a Wi-Fi only tablet will be fine.

If you decide to purchase a Wi-Fi only device now and need to add GPS later, you could buy a GPS receiver. You can find a few commonly used GPS receivers here.
Thanks for the response. So RTH requires a tablet with GPS? Or am I misunderstanding

Thanks for the response. So RTH requires a tablet with GPS? Or am I misunderstanding
Nope. If you want to reset the home point to your current location after you take off, then your tablet will need GPS so your Phantom is able to locate your new position. Most people probably rarely reset their home point after takeoff.

Hi

So for setting RTH I need a celluar capable tablet? Or am I misunderstanding?

Hi

So for setting RTH I need a celluar capable tablet? Or am I misunderstanding?
There are two ways to set the home point. You can set it to the Phantom's current location using the GPS receiver on your Phantom -- which is what happens right before it takes off. Or, you can set it to your location (which uses the GPS receiver on your tablet). To do the latter, you must have a GPS receiver on your tablet.

I believe only those Apple tablets required cellular service in order for GPS to work. Androids, most of the new tablets you buy have GPS as standard equipment. No cell service needed. Skip the Nvidia shield and just buy a cheap tablet with Lollipop OS. Big Lots has a 7" quad processor tablet for $45 click link below

Emerson™ 7" HD Android™ Quad Core Tablet

I believe only those Apple tablets required cellular service in order for GPS to work.
Nope. You just need a cellular model. I use a cellular iPad Mini 2 -- but, have never activated the cell service.

Hi
So for setting RTH I need a cellular capable tablet? Or am I misunderstanding?
Your Phantom has a perfectly good GPS unit itself and flies just fine, RTH etc.

Post #2 above explains the only two features that require you to also have GPS in the tablet.

It applies to all models of the Phantom 3.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic