Confirmed - 7th channel tilt feature coming this year

Reaction score
Interview with DJI Innovations PR Manager Michael Perry

http://us.hardware.info/reviews/5681/in ... uadcopters

'But we also keep updating the experience of our current products through software and firmware upgrades. One of the features that we’ll add to the current Phantom 2 Vision Plus is an option to tilt the camera up and down, without taking your hands of the controller. (Currently, tilting the camera is done with the smartphone apps). We plan to add that feature in this year.'

And maybe a different gimbal so we can use Gopros?

Phantom camera upgrades

HWI: Many video enthusiasts still prefer the use of a GoPro Hero cameras in combination with a regular Phantom 2 over the camera that you use in the Phantom 2 Vision Plus, because of the better image quality and higher framerate of the GoPro. Are you looking at solutions to bridge the gap between the image quality and capabilities of your own camera and the GoPro Hero cameras?

MP: Yes! The answer is yes, but I can’t give away too many details right now about products that we have coming up. But we definitely take the feedback onboard that people want that full high resolution experience, combined with the ease of use of first person view and flight telemetry that we offer on the Phantom 2 Vision Plus.

Michael Perry said, "But we definitely take the feedback onboard that people want that full high resolution experience, combined with the ease of use of first person view".

Please pass along the option to change the aperture in the Vision app. The Vision app offers several manual changes but in order to get crisp sharp images in the distance we need higher f-stops. Currently it is set to f2.8 which is fine for subjects close up. It would really, really help to be able to change the aperture to options like: f5.6 and f16 making the distant images sharp as well.

"It’s also no secret that the entire industry is moving towards sense-and-avoid technology"

Nice!

phantomknowledge said:
Please pass along the option to change the aperture in the Vision app. The Vision app offers several manual changes but in order to get crisp sharp images in the distance we need higher f-stops. Currently it is set to f2.8 which is fine for subjects close up. It would really, really help to be able to change the aperture to options like: f5.6 and f16 making the distant images sharp as well.

The lens used has a very large depth of field and is capable of getting crisp sharp images in the distance.
The problem with image quality is due to the very small sensor size and compression rather than the fixed aperture.
Because light weight is critical, the fixed aperture of the Phantom is a suitable solution.

Good to hear that DJI is looking toward a better camera system.
And we’re also looking at the sensor size and specs of our cameras.
I wonder how they will go implementing it.

I hope the 7th channel capability comes sooner rather than later. But it's already the middle of October, so there's only about 11 weeks left in "this year"....

photographix said:
I hope the 7th channel capability comes sooner rather than later. But it's already the middle of October, so there's only about 11 weeks left in "this year"....

The Chinese New Year is 02/19/15 this year. ;)

So that gives them an extra 6 weeks or so :lol: :lol: :lol:

Never hold your breath for a rumor.

480sparky said:
Never hold your breath for a rumor.

I agree with that. I'll believe it when I see it.

7th channel for tilt control will be nice, but I'll have other plans for it once it's available. :cool:

Good news : tilt control from the Tx is coming with the new firmware v3.08 which should be available ... today !
Bad news : tilt control should work only with the new Phantom Tx (delivered now when buying a P2).

It makes me very angry ... and I believe I won't be the only one :evil:
So it should not work for all of us having the tilt lever (or pot) on their Tx and flying P2V/V+ !?
Shall it be confirmed, no way for me to buy a new Phantom Tx. I won't let DJI get more money on my back.
One more time obliged to wait for a clever buddy to develop the fitting app ?

From the french http://www.djiphantom-forum.com/
This information comes from the forum admin : http://www.djiphantom-forum.com/t10671-le-firmware-308-la-nouvelle-application-dji-vision
He has good connections at DJI ... but never communicates when still confidential ;)

New features brought by v3.08 should be (translation by myself)
- dynamic Home Point (can be locked to your smartphone GPS location)
- tunable RTH height
- ground station : max area (according to the battery load)
- Lat and Long on the radar view
- pre flight checklist on the DJI app
- alarm on battery cell problem
- auto smart battery discharging (when stored since a while)
- better battery damages detection
- new cells load balancing management (for a longer life)
- descent : 0.6m/s when below 10m
- propulsion system enhancement
- new languages on the DJI app

I don't know more yet Geert, but the tilt control information I asked to the site admin.
No information from the US ?

Any ideas what the new TX cost? I'm assuming over $200 since the original is listed at $185 (last time I checked).
I almost purchased the tilt pot this weekend. Good thing I decided to hold off...

I'm curious since I have a fpvlr stage 2 kit would it work with the new TX if I decided to purchase and switch?

Thx! for the heads up

Geert said:
Bigdz said:
Any ideas what the new TX cost? I'm assuming over $200 since the original is listed at $185 (last time I checked).
I almost purchased the tilt pot this weekend. Good thing I decided to hold off...

I'm curious since I have a fpvlr stage 2 kit would it work with the new TX if I decided to purchase and switch?

Thx! for the heads up

See : viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28354

Geert./.

thanks geert! However I doubt it will cost $100 for the new TX here in the US...

Newly bought P2/V/V+ (should) come with 3 new components
- new brushless motors (2312, 960 KV)
- new shaped props (9.4")
- new ESCs v2.0
- new Tx (compatible 2.4 and 5.8), with Lipo battery, 4 battery load LEDs, tilt wheel

This upgrade is normally at no extra cost so we can expect the TX to be separately sold at 100€.

I stupidly thought that, thanks to the new coming firmware, I'd be able to control the tilt via Ch7 (pot mod made on my TX since a while). It was getting rid of business/commercial/money considerations. It seems it won't. Of course, I'll give a try but I don't dream (any more). Quite sure that DJI put a SW/HW lock into the TX not to let this feature work on previous TX models.

4wd said:
You never know it might work on the existing pot.
Maybe when the new one is opened up there'll be a bit of string inside working it ;)

It seems that you're right 4WD, I've been misinformed.
That's awesome, I cant' wait testing it now :D

Strangely enough I've just installed the pitch lever on my stock P2V+ TX and it works fine with the new firmware 3.08 .... until you run the DJI App and then it stops working... nothing nada zip - so frustrating !!!!

Geert said:
Fourblade said:
Strangely enough I've just installed the pitch lever on my stock P2V+ TX and it works fine with the new firmware 3.08 .... until you run the DJI App and then it stops working... nothing nada zip - so frustrating !!!!

Try to follow the steps describe in this topic : viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28427

Geert./.

Hmm I just don't fancy going through that process with the potential to mess things up with non DJI software etc.. I'll just wait and see if DJI choose to release a working firmware..

If you're tilt lever is already working, and you have full travel, Then I have good news…
All you have to do is click the upgraded controller radio button under the basic/RC tab

The only people that must go through that entire post step-by-step, are the ones that do not have a calibrated X1 channel. If you're lever is already providing full travel of the camera tilt function, you are good. Just click that radio button

DrJoe said:
If you're tilt lever is already working, and you have full travel, Then I have good news…
All you have to do is click the upgraded controller radio button under the basic/RC tab

The only people that must go through that entire post step-by-step, are the ones that do not have a calibrated X1 channel. If you're lever is already providing full travel of the camera tilt function, you are good. Just click that radio button

Tried that but then nothing worked!! The tilt lever had no effect and the tilt control in the app also had no effect.
As soon as I switched back to "basic" version the tilt control in the app worked but not the lever (whilst the app was running)

The lever works fine with full travel but only until the app starts???

Puzzled

That seems to work just fine - clicking on that radio tab.

However I now can't see any gimbal control parameters in the PT2 assistant - which isn't a big issue for me, as yet.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj