Concerns about how to view video in real time?

Reaction score
My company is thinking about buying a P4. In talking to people about it, I was told that hands down the P4 is the best drone on the market, especially for the price point.

I was also told the P4 wifi signal is very weak, and there could also be a lot of trouble and concerns when trying to pair the P4 with say for example an iPad to receive a live video feed in flight.

I really need someone's help who understands this to explain to me if the iPad linkup would work okay, or if there is 3rd party video equipment I need to buy and install on the P4 in order to get a consistent video feed for a distance of say 3000-4000 feet (the distance I could still see the drone in the air with the naked eye, whatever that distance would be).

Thank You,

Lee

p4 works off Lightbridge not wifi you should be fine just ck and make sure tablet is rated for the bird

I fly with a iPad mini4 and have no problems at all with the video in real time as far out as I can observe the drone with my eyes.

Please see this link - DJI Lightbridge Explained – Is It Right For You?

So, this lightbridge, that's not included when you buy the P4, right? That's something extra you have to buy?

What do all the parts cost (and what are all the parts needed) roughly to see video in real time with an iPad and Lightbridge (rough ballpark price).

Thank You,

Lee

no Lightbridge is built in already just need a good tablet and your all set

Just a precaution, many times full functionality will be device dependent, and could change at any time with firmware upgrades for the drone and RC, App upgrades, and operating system upgrades. If you find a combination that works for you stay with it.

Hi, Lee. Lightbridge is a high definition digital video transmision which has much much better capabilities than wifi or analogic ones. Everything comes with the Phantom 4, including antennas. You will need only one tablet or smart phone and cable to connect your device with the USB port in the remote controller. I use an iPad mini 4 which gives a fantastic resolution, but do not forget to acquire a screen shade protector to avoid reflexions (less than 15 dollars). I have been flying and filming today (in Spain, at 36 degrees Celsius!) four full batteries at a distance of 2,000 feet, with high voltage transmission lines in between, with not at all any problem, save a couple of one-second stops in the live transmission.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

My company is thinking about buying a P4. In talking to people about it, I was told that hands down the P4 is the best drone on the market, especially for the price point.

I was also told the P4 wifi signal is very weak, and there could also be a lot of trouble and concerns when trying to pair the P4 with say for example an iPad to receive a live video feed in flight.
Lee
Lee, the P4 comes with the weakest Lightbridge RCs that DJI has made to date. That's probably what you heard. However it's still the best in the market and will go beyond a mile distance in ideal conditions. Windsurfer parabolic reflectors ($20) can help to add range and provide a more reliable signal connection, but it's directional. These reflectors shield any rogue 2.4Ghz signals from behind you from interfering with your craft connection, plus it points 70% of your signal directly to the craft, instead of 20-30% with a omni-directional stock setup.

If you get to the point of wanting more range, you also have the option to buy a Phantom3Pro RC or an Inspire RC on Ebay, . These older RCs have more power to reach your craft. Specifically, look for GL300A (older P3P RC) ~$150 used, or GL 658A or GL658C (inspire RC) ~$350 used, these can offer up to 50% more signal strength. These are compatible with the P4, even though the labeling on the PSA switch will say PAF. Doesn't matter about the labeling, both type RCs are compatible with P4. You'll get much better range with an older RC if you feel the need. Alternatively, you can also upgrade the antenna on the any of these RCs, that will help too, but keep in mind that most of these upgrades make the radio a directional setup, you must point the antenna at the craft at all times.

All said, don't assume you'll need another RC for your P4, I only offer this insight as an option if you eventually need more range.

As for the screen selection, go with the iPad Mini4, 64GB with cellular. Yeah, it's expensive, but a nice unit. That's a good size, but if you want to go big the iPad Air2 is really nice. iPads will give you 2X zoom capability with the camera, Android won't, yet.

iPad Mini 2 and 3 will overheat in temps over 90F, which compromises the video feed. The old iPad processors can't handle the load at that temp for more than 8 or 9 minutes.

Lee, the P4 comes with the weakest Lightbridge RCs that DJI has made to date. That's probably what you heard. However it's still the best in the market and will go beyond a mile distance in ideal conditions. Windsurfer parabolic reflectors ($20) can help to add range and provide a more reliable signal connection, but it's directional. These reflectors shield any rogue 2.4Ghz signals from behind you from interfering with your craft connection, plus it points 70% of your signal directly to the craft, instead of 20-30% with a omni-directional stock setup.

If you get to the point of wanting more range, you also have the option to buy a Phantom3Pro RC or an Inspire RC on Ebay, . These older RCs have more power to reach your craft. Specifically, look for GL300A (older P3P RC) ~$150 used, or GL 658A or GL658C (inspire RC) ~$350 used, these can offer up to 50% more signal strength. These are compatible with the P4, even though the labeling on the PSA switch will say PAF. Doesn't matter about the labeling, both type RCs are compatible with P4. You'll get much better range with an older RC if you feel the need. Alternatively, you can also upgrade the antenna on the any of these RCs, that will help too, but keep in mind that most of these upgrades make the radio a directional setup, you must point the antenna at the craft at all times.

All said, don't assume you'll need another RC for your P4, I only offer this insight as an option if you eventually need more range.

As for the screen selection, go with the iPad Mini4, 64GB with cellular. Yeah, it's expensive, but a nice unit. That's a good size, but if you want to go big the iPad Air2 is really nice. iPads will give you 2X zoom capability with the camera, Android won't, yet.

iPad Mini 2 and 3 will overheat in temps over 90F, which compromises the video feed. The old iPad processors can't handle the load at that temp for more than 8 or 9 minutes.
don't worry spoke with him on phone he is all hooked up on what everything is

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1