concerns about buying a phantom

Reaction score
I'm currently a AR Drone 2.0 owner and have been wanting to upgrade to a Phantom 2 vision +. Before making the leap I've been spending a lot of time reading from other phantom pilots and watching some videos.

I have some concerns about buying a phantom but I would love to have one.

My main concerns are:
1. lack of support from DJI if there are issues with it and having to return a device overseas
2. Seems like there are sometimes bug issues with Phantom software/updates and hardware
3. Most scary: seemingly random fly aways from people that say they have done everything right. I even read one person had 100 successful flights then one day it went bad and flew away.
4. Wanting to buy in the US from a dealer that will be responsive if I have problems or need a warranty repairs

so my questions:
How likely am I to experience problems out of the box with either hardware or software update issues/bugs?

Can someone recommend a good US dealer that would cover any warranty issues or repairs?

Anything else I should be aware of before shelling out some big $$$ on a phantom?

Thanks for any helpful replies and info. :cool:

I'm currently flying PV2+ every day and I am having zero issues. I highly suggest you buy from B&H as a first choice (remarkable return policy and quick turn around) or Dave's Motors. You are hearing about some flyaways, but keep in mind it is such a small, SMALL fraction and you aren't hearing from all the people who aren't having problems. Most people come here hoping to have problems solved, hence it might scare the hell out of you. I think you could be out of the box and flying as soon as your Wi-Fi booster and battery is charged without problem. I'm not worried about fly-aways, but you never know what can happen when dealing with technology like this. Its a chance I suppose, but I'm not sure what I'd put the odds at if you are doing everything correctly. 1 in 300 maybe each time you go up? Finding a cause would help. Personally I think its a outside source/signal that comes in contact with the aircraft.

Best wishes,
J.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl