Computer suggestions for editing 4k

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I have been flying phantoms since the first vision and will be getting my p4 tomorrow. Currently I use a p3p. I am finding all my computers choking trying to edit the video. I use to have no problem with my p2+ but when I switched to the p3p my 5 year old imac just couldnt do it. I am going to buy something tonight to remedy the problem. I did an online chat with apple and they said imac 27 or macbook pro both over $1800....Is there a better way? What are people using successfully out there? When I try to edit and preview its skippy and impossible to get anything done. Thanks guys
Luke

I'd say a Retina 27-inch iMac is a very good solution. First, it can actually display 4K, pixel for pixel, on a color-accurate IPS screen. Second, the quad-core i5 has the horsepower to edit 4K video; the i7 is even better. Three, it is a Mac, which means all your existing software works (which, I assume, includes FCPX).

If it seems like a lot of money, just go price a true 4K or 5K display. Not a TFN piece of crap, but an IPS screen. You are almost getting the computer for free.

I see that a refurbished Retina 27-inch iMac can be had for $1529 at the online Apple store:

Refurbished 27-inch iMac 3.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5 with Retina 5K display - Apple

f09be9e3d036af0befc6f4b8745dedcb.jpg

Made my decision :)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Ralph M
Cool - is it a Retina 27-inch?

Yes with the fusion drive and external gpu

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes with the fusion drive and external gpu

I think you'll love it. The Mac Pro is other-worldly, but I think the Retina iMac is the best value in 4K editing. Good move on the fusion drive and GPU.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20